Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reminder of how quickly things go wrong

Reminder of how quickly things go wrong

Found this on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTmATK6VsR0

I'm sure these must be rentals. Hopefully they propped up those outdrives / outboards!

I've never rented a houseboat before. I would think the rental company would assist you in properly beaching or tying up the boats. Looks to me these people had no idea what they were doing, which is why you should never buy a former rental.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

I would not say to never buy a former rental. I owned one and rebuilt it inside. I guarantee that it was built tougher than any normal production boat. It had thicker aluminum and much thicker railings. It is just like any other used boat you buy - you need to check it out and pay accordingly.

Well, your average Joe Boater isn't capable of rebuilding a HB like some of us, which is why I made that comment.

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    Found this on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTmATK6VsR0

I'm sure these must be rentals. Hopefully they propped up those outdrives / outboards!

I've never rented a houseboat before. I would think the rental company would assist you in properly beaching or tying up the boats. Looks to me these people had no idea what they were doing, which is why you should never buy a former rental.
    We've rented from a couple of marinas over the years before buying our own. I don't recall any of them giving beaching or tying tips before we took the boat out. State Dock in KY has a pretty impressive "captain's lesson" video that talks about beaching.

http://www.statedock.com/793/

Every time we turned in our boat, the FIRST thing they did was pull the motor up and look at the prop. One of them even posted a before and after photo on the contract.
    Last edited by Zilpo55; 01-30-2014 at 01:07 PM.

It'd be easy to sit smugly behind my keyboard and think this couldn't happen to me. I've not been beached like this before, but from what I've seen it happens fast. Blindingly fast. The mistakes I see are anchoring on an open beach rather than nudging into a more protected cove and not placing enough shore anchors. About the time we think it can't happen to us, we get cocky. Then, we're fodder for the next youtube disaster video. Thanks for posting a great reminder.

I'd bet these guys didn't get their deposit back after this trip! At one point in the video, you can see the waves crashing on the back porch sliding door and the poor single outboard is going completely under water. I'm sure that outboard required some TLC after that outting!

Bet On Another Thousand

The rental boat that I purchased and redid came from State Dock on Cumberland. They use outboards for a reason. I have heard them referred to as "clip-ons". If the outboard got damaged, they could swap it out in less that two hours - in-between rentals. If it would start and run, I doubt they did much to that outboard. When I got my boat, it had a 150 hp Evinrude outboard. It was low on compression on three cylinders. It was carboned up like crazy. They had programmed the throttle to limit revs to 1800 rpm - bad juju for an outboard. I decarboned that motor twice before the rings unstuck and the compression came back up.

Also, rental boats with single outboards can get sideways in the wind very quickly. And, the single outboard does not have the thrust to counteract the wind.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Beaching with an onshore wind is a little bit dumb.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

It is dumb, but it may not have been onshore when they beached.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

The dumbest thing that they did was jump in the water and try to move the boat.

+ Reply to Thread