Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Condensation problem

Condensation problem

Hello. First post. I have a 1993 Sumerset that has a stairway going up from the front deck. Inside, there is a storage cabinet under those aluminum stairs. They are not covered underneath and a large amount of condensation builds up on them in the winter. It drips on the floor and seeps under the wall to rot out the bottom plate. I just bought the boat a few months back. I saw the rot before purchasing. Not a big problem to fix. I originally thought there was a leak when it rained, but that is not the case. I placed a fan in the cabinet and it kept the condensation from forming. Is there something I can spray or glue to the bottom side of those stairs to prevent the water or should I just keep a fan running all the time. Any help would be appreciated.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Best bet is a small Dehumidifier. Set it in the sink with a timer and run it a few hours a day. Leave doors and hatches open. This will prevent mold and mildew from growing in the entire boat.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

One thing for sure is you need to somehow increase air flow to the area to prevent buildup of condensation. If you insulate it and don't increase air flow, you'll get mold on the insulation. Insulate and aerate it and keep an eye on it to ensure no mold develops. I'm envisioning insulation like cruisers have on their engine compartments for that purpose, but that may be costly.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Vents, someway to get that air moving, just discovered my front deck wasn't vented, the underside looked like a rain forest, hoping a couple through hull fittings fixed it
    Last edited by dalehollow; 03-02-2014 at 01:41 PM.

There is a spray on application made for the HVAC industry to prevent such issues with underside of drain pans and copper drain lines on AC units. Try searching Grainger to see if the have it.

Thank you all for the help.

+ Reply to Thread