Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Keeping it fresh

Keeping it fresh

I keep thinking about adding a smaller fuel tank. My typical hour out / hour return fuel. Throw in 4 /6 gallons if the big generator is ran over the week end. (that fuel is very doubtful) the lil red Honda has taken over that issue. So now IM up to 10 gallons tops.

What about that other 70/90 gallons, in the big tank. All those horror stories of the bad gas issue, stale, condensation, ethanol. Throw in the storage factor, the added additives.

Seems so much more reassuring that the 12 gallons IM about to run over the week end will be uncontaminated. Better yet not the least bit compromised from existing fuel.

Is this over kill on my part, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

late in September we filled the tanks to full for the winter (240 gals.) we went to take out and the boat wouldn't run.pulled the filters,they were full of rust.we have aluminum tanks so it wasn't from us. the fuel station ofcourse claimed it was my problem.now I have to pump both tanks this spring. it never ends.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

42Gibson, that's another reason why I don't like buying my fuel from the dumb marinas. Their gas sits in the tanks during the winter and I'm sure it's untreated for storage. If their fuel lines function the same as their water lines and waste lines going through the dock, then you surely don't want to buy marina gas! I have 4 - 5 gallon cans that I haul to the dock in the summer whenever I need gas. I buy from an ethanol-free station down the road from my work for ~$1.50 less per gallon than the marina. Also, since it's a regular station, you can bet the fuel is pretty fresh.

Your story also further reinforces why I'm installing a fuel water seperator on my boat instead of just depending on the small fuel filter built into my outboards. If all that rust made it's way into your engines, you'd be doing a carb rebuild on 2 motors! Not cheap!! I'd be opening a can of whoop arse on someone at your marina over that.

Dale, I don't think I'd do what you're considering there. Your fuel in your main tanks will continue to age. If you drain them, there will always be some left in the bottom. Empty tanks will get water and debris in them and lots of explosive fumes. Just keep a good brand of fuel stabilizer (startron, and etc) and you'll be fine.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

I am very much surprised that your dock will allow you to bring fuel to the dock. It is part of my contract with my marina that I cannot do so. Of course, people do it all the time, but if you get caught you can be asked to leave the dock. I buy my fuel at the marina and smile when I do so - it makes the marina owner happy and he treats me well. He sells pure gas and has a small above ground tank up on the hill. I gas my houseboat up about once a year. I talk to him a few weeks before I need to fill up to make sure that the gas is a recent delivery and to make sure I will not draw his tank too low - I can use well over half his tank and I do not want to run him dry.

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    42Gibson, that's another reason why I don't like buying my fuel from the dumb marinas. Their gas sits in the tanks during the winter and I'm sure it's untreated for storage. If their fuel lines function the same as their water lines and waste lines going through the dock, then you surely don't want to buy marina gas! I have 4 - 5 gallon cans that I haul to the dock in the summer whenever I need gas. I buy from an ethanol-free station down the road from my work for ~$1.50 less per gallon than the marina. Also, since it's a regular station, you can bet the fuel is pretty fresh.

Your story also further reinforces why I'm installing a fuel water seperator on my boat instead of just depending on the small fuel filter built into my outboards. If all that rust made it's way into your engines, you'd be doing a carb rebuild on 2 motors! Not cheap!! I'd be opening a can of whoop arse on someone at your marina over that.

Dale, I don't think I'd do what you're considering there. Your fuel in your main tanks will continue to age. If you drain them, there will always be some left in the bottom. Empty tanks will get water and debris in them and lots of explosive fumes. Just keep a good brand of fuel stabilizer (startron, and etc) and you'll be fine.
    That's a good point on what becomes of the big fuel tank, fuel, ....Good point. Tank has to remain for resale purpose. Got to work on skinning this cat, tired of fuel issues (fortunately no first hand problems yet) , I just purchased new to me a enzine (sp) treatment for 150 gallons, all those additives leave me skeptical of, A. there life span an B. effectiveness....

Well, we're not supposed to bring the fuel to the dock either, so I bring it out on my runabout and gas the boat up while on the lake instead. It's not too much trouble because my runabout is hauled to the lake each weekend and typically visits the pumps on its drive to the lake anyway. When my marina starts following all their own guidelines in their own contract, so will I. I'm not too happy with them at this time.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Marinas are definitely a trade off. There is only one other marina on my small lake where I can slip my boat. It is close to twice the price and the owner is a real piece of work. So, I trade with my marina when I can - makes everyone happy.

+ Reply to Thread