Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol Free Gasoline

Ethanol Free Gasoline

Is there a difference in older gasoline engines (1986) whether I use ethanol free gas or the regular stuff.
    I'm sure this has been covered before but I'll ask it again for the latest info.

Thanks in advance.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Your engine might like non-ethanol better but it's kind of a mote point, if you travel, because is not available in most places. Shell still provides it in some places (Lower Alabama) but it's scarce in other areas.

You probably won't put enough hours on your engines to see any effect no matter how far you travel.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

The engines themselves - not really. Some of the stuff getting the gas to the engines - older rubber fuel lines, older rubber parts in carbs, older fiberglass fuel tanks, ... - maybe.

For years, I worked very closely with powertrain engineers and was responsible for purchasing for all the rubber seals, gaskets, and hoses in a major auto company's engines here in the USA. I can tell you that E-10 is harmful to older engines because ethanol is corrosive to the rubber throughout the fuel system.

Number of hours you're putting on the motor doesn't matter much, if you're running E-10 gas - it's the amount of time the rubber is exposed to the E-10.

Don't do it! Just don't.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

If you are running an old engine with old fuel hoses you should upgrade them anyway to newer USCG Type A -15 hose. It is alcohol resistant and meets all the epa requirements. Have the carb rebuilt with all new gaskets and other components and you should not have a problem. My 1972 Sea Ray with a Mercruiser 165 runs fine on regular E-10 gas. But don't let it stand in the tank for long periods of time. Run it through and burn it up. If it sits you will get phase separation (the alcohol and fuel separate) and that will cause all kinds of grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    If you are running an old engine with old fuel hoses you should upgrade them anyway to newer USCG Type A -15 hose. It is alcohol resistant and meets all the epa requirements. Have the carb rebuilt with all new gaskets and other components and you should not have a problem. My 1972 Sea Ray with a Mercruiser 165 runs fine on regular E-10 gas. But don't let it stand in the tank for long periods of time. Run it through and burn it up. If it sits you will get phase separation (the alcohol and fuel separate) and that will cause all kinds of grief.
    Speaking to Ike's point here, you can take a look at my blog and see just how crappy Ethanol can turn a tank full of gas. It is a lesson I learned harder than it should have been. With 2 x 90 gallon fuel tanks and faulty gas gauges, I filled my tanks a lot. In the end, I haven't traveled on my boat very far. I could probably do an entire season off 90 gallons if not less. After replacing my tanks this year I am going to convert my fuel system to running off one tank and if I need I can switch to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    For years, I worked very closely with powertrain engineers and was responsible for purchasing for all the rubber seals, gaskets, and hoses in a major auto company's engines here in the USA. I can tell you that E-10 is harmful to older engines because ethanol is corrosive to the rubber throughout the fuel system.

Number of hours you're putting on the motor doesn't matter much, if you're running E-10 gas - it's the amount of time the rubber is exposed to the E-10.

Don't do it! Just don't.
    so what are your thoughts on this Blue additive, (some type of enzyme additive ) IM hearing a lot about .....It treats approximately 120 gallons of ethanol at 6 ounces? (before I buy another case lol)

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Almost all boaters have been running E10 for years with out trouble. Really, the only people that seem to have trouble are the owners that have "Dock Queens".

These people may run their boat once or twice a year with no maintenance. They then cry about the gas that has been the tank forever with no treatment.

This is an old problem that is in fact rare today.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Dale,
    I've used the Startron enzime treatment in my tanks for the last 3 years. I bought it originally b/c it's less expensive than the Stabil brand. I researched it a lot and have seen nothing but positive reviews. I found it least expensive at Wal-Mart, but it's always sold out, so if you find it, buy it. Where are you buying it by the case and for how much a bottle?
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER View Post
    Almost all boaters have been running E10 for years with out trouble. Really, the only people that seem to have trouble are the owners that have "Dock Queens".

These people may run their boat once or twice a year with no maintenance. They then cry about the gas that has been the tank forever with no treatment.

This is an old problem that is in fact rare today.

I will be the first to admit that is what happened with my boat last year. The gas was still from the year prior and sat for way too long. My Carb got gummed up and just couldn't hold an idle.

It wont happen again as my marina is now Ethanol free, however I also wont be filling my tanks so much.

+ Reply to Thread