Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Installing 2nd AC unit Gibson 97

Installing 2nd AC unit Gibson 97

I am working on installing a second AC unit in our 97 Gibson 41 Sport. It appears to all wired up and ready for one. But for some reason the factory never installed it. Was looking to see if anyone here had any experience with such? Cause we live kind of away from big citys and no one around my area knows what AC units where used? Since the fuse panel and all was there was trying to see if it would go easier if I used a certain brand or size etc.
    So if anyone here has any foresight on this issue or suggestions on unit or a Manuel or a Gibson contact haha. Would be very grateful. OR if you own a unit close to this one and could send measurements and unit that is installed in yours I would be very grateful!

Hope all have a great day on the water!
    Carl

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    AFirst question is what electrical service do you have available? (1) 30 amp is good for (1) airconditioner and the rest of the ships load. If you have (2) 30 amp or greater capability your good to go.

Second question how much generator do you have? A 7 1/2 will haul 2 reasonable sized Air conditioners and a minor amount of ships load. (turn off water heater, stove and other high load devices).

I would suggest (2) 11,000 BTU Hi Effciency units. Search RV catalogs.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

on our previous Gibson,a 42 classic the breaker was there for the 2nd a/c unit but it wasn't wired for some reason. we had to pull the ceiling down and run wires.what a mess! by the way,it was a 1989 if that even matters.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

If looking at roof air, look at these http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...I-pwr-savr.htm. One can be run off a small gen, Honda 2000 and we run two off one 30 amp shore power. But keep in mind we have a gas water heater and a gas/elec refrigerator and two small battery chargers 20amps each.
    Last edited by captrsimon; 03-24-2014 at 07:19 PM.

The powers to be made the AC industry market units that would be high efficient, so last year I found a Wal Mart window AC that drew less than 7 amps, at 5000 btu. (year before it was nearly 12/13 amps) We could run the fridge full side by side, lights tv, along with AC, on the lil red Honda 2000.

No issues with compressors kicking in an out. our goal was find an ac unit that the Honda 2000 could run along with the other essentials , @ 7amps it worked

so if a roof air is what you need, keep in mind high efficiency.

id be curious at what unit you find and the amount of amperage it operates on thanks
    Last edited by dalehollow; 03-24-2014 at 06:15 AM.

When we were looking at ac units every one and I mean every one told us you can't run 2 ac units on one 30 amp service. Even had one rv center refuse to sell them to us. Finally ended up talking to an engineer at Colman about their 13500 btu power saver. Went over all ac loads on the boat and he told me that it should work on paper but couldn't guarantee that it would work. Told us to call back with real world results. Well the real world results are it does and we still have amps left over for lights, tv, frig, battery chargers and even a small microwave. We run one ac unit on very hot days at the beach off a Yamaha 2400. Our dock neighbors liked it so much they put one in and run it off a Honda 2000.

+ Reply to Thread