Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: would switching a drop commode work

would switching a drop commode work

I have a straight drop unit, could I replace it with a standard home flush commode?

I have no issue with holding tank needing pumped out more often. (or extra flush water going in).

Mechanically would it work no macerator plug an play switch thanks

issues or must do's thanks

You are going to need more fresh water as well. If that is not a problem and you have decent pressure, then it should physically work. If you do not currently have problems with the contents of your holding tank being pumped out, then I do not see how using a conventional flush toilet would be any worse.

I have seen a couple of very high end houseboats with conventional toilets.

I think it should work fine. East tn is right about the flushing water. I would suggest lake water flushing, except that even pretty clean lake water would tend to look off-color in a white toilet bowl. It might be a little more tricky winterizing a household toilet compared to an RV-style that's meant to be left off for the winter months.

we have a friend who bought a 16x73 shell from horizon in 2001 and he used regular household toilets in it. he loved them and the new owner has kept them in as well.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

you pointed out a issue I hadn't thought of the discolor water, pumping from the lake. Great point.

perhaps our holding tank water would correct that, we don't do prolonged stays, (as we 2 of us ) live close to the dock). But every wk end, we are out

IM assuming as for as water pressure goes that only means a little longer fill time . I guess the next issue is on the switch over is the pump set up?
    Am I correct in assuming the same on demand pump that handles my galley is a water line over to the commode.

I totally understand the issues with the demands and the give an takes. keep the thoughts an tips coming

If you want to use fresh water (water from your internal tanks), then you will have to tap into your house supply lines somewhere. And, yes, the amount of pressure and volume that your pump can provide will determine how long it takes the toilet to fill.

Removed the drop commode and installed the standard flush today. Lesson learned remove old unit first. Needed a 10" rough in not 12". Regardless the new one is in. Looks fantastic.
    I will get a larger on demand pump in the near future. I'll also redo a supply line. Where I can use the dock water instead of lake water, while in.
    Next test, might take place next date....Wink
    Last edited by dalehollow; 03-27-2014 at 08:09 PM.

My buddy has a Horizon with drop flush toilets. He pumped out one time and the dock's pump out system quit working for some reason. Turns out, his fiber rich diet was to blame as he clogged the main pump out line. Macerators are a good thing.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    My buddy has a Horizon with drop flush toilets. He pumped out one time and the dock's pump out system quit working for some reason. Turns out, his fiber rich diet was to blame as he clogged the main pump out line. Macerators are a good thing.
    This would be my concern. Will there be a problem pumping Un-Macerated waste from the holding tank?
    1991 Pluckebaum 70'
    13' Boston Whaler, 40hp Yamaha
    10' AB rib, 25hp Suzuki (for sale)

I'm not too proud of my familarity with my toilets b/c I never willingly set out to learn this stuff. I've had to tear mine apart a few times to troubleshit stuff.

I would think that as long as the inner diameter of your waste hoses on your boat are comperable to your house's waste pipes, you wouldn't have much trouble at all with the house-style toilets. Problem sets in with people that use gobs of TP when cleaning up.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

+ Reply to Thread