Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: would switching a drop commode work

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    I would think that as long as the inner diameter of your waste hoses on your boat are comperable to your house's waste pipes, you wouldn't have much trouble at all with the house-style toilets. Problem sets in with people that use gobs of TP when cleaning up.
    That is where the problem could be. Household sewage lines are usually 4 inch. Waste hoses on boats are 1 1/2.
    1991 Pluckebaum 70'
    13' Boston Whaler, 40hp Yamaha
    10' AB rib, 25hp Suzuki (for sale)

stop an think

the straight drop systems dont use a macerator......
    been around a long time.

COOL the attitude. If you know everything about waste systems why are you on here asking for advice? We were commenting about the possible problems that could arise when pumping a holding tank filled with firm stool and possibly wads of paper. Good luck with sh*t.
    1991 Pluckebaum 70'
    13' Boston Whaler, 40hp Yamaha
    10' AB rib, 25hp Suzuki (for sale)

excuse my poor choice of wording. Those who took offense that wasn't my intention.

If your not pleased with your straight drop, the switch over is quite simple. Know if you need a 10 inch rough in on the commode might save yourself a return visit to Lowe's.
    Our old system, I was just never pleased with. So the new standard flush works great. In all honesty I have heard more horror stories concerning the macerator, than marina pump out systems being fouled.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Your straight drop toilet doesn't require a vent system due to the low velocity when you open the valve. The 3/4 vent hose is big enough.

Household toilets operate on a high volume flow over a short period of time. That is why you have a large vent thru the roof of the house. A vent of this type sticking out the roof of your boat might present a problem. Without the vent your system might flush ok when the tank is low but might be problematic when the tank is nearly full due to back pressure.

The other problem is sloshing of water out of the bowl when you speed up/slow down or encounter wakes, swells, and rough sea conditions.

It's interesting. Let us know how it works when your done.
    Last edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER; 03-29-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Good Point Ole HB'er, " Without the vent your system might flush ok when the tank is low but might be problematic when the tank is nearly full due to back pressure".

Being on the dock /hb, year round pumping out isn't a dreaded issue, with that said I never let the holding tank go over 3/4's full in the past.
    So at what point I create a vacuum will be my next test, If the new system will work up to 3/4's full our boating style wont be compromised. Life is good.
    Anything less, I saved the drop system, ugh.

I'm thinking that venting would have been more of a problem when we had flush toilets that dropped 5 to 7 gallons in a flush. But today's more modern flush toilets use 1.5 or 1.6 gallons per flush. That's not a whole lot more water than an RV-style drop toilet would flush considering that proper use of the RV-style toilet would be to run some water into the bowl before you use it for solid waste.

I am with you Endurance. I am actually a former plumber. The new toilets do not use as much water. They do flush pretty quickly though, but a 3/4 vent should be able to handle the airflow. Way back at the beginning of this I said as long as he had no problems pumping out with his drop toilet, he should not have any in the future.

I am pretty sure it would cause problems at the dock where I am. I do not think the solids (non-macerated) would make it through the dock's pump out system with out clogging it somewhere.

What a crappy subject.

it's working

Reading the above, I became concerned over the vent issue, BUT, In short it doesnt appear that will be an issue.
    The tank was filled completly 99% clear water. It still flushed.

The second to the last flush I saw a slight gurgle. The last flush with solid's gurgled even more but cleared.
    This clued me to check my tank level and it was FULL. (perhaps next issue a tank level device is in order) semi clear plastic tank

Today I pumped out, and when the holding tank cap was taken off there was waste water at nearly at the top of the cap. (hopefuly that won't happend again)

So at capacity it vented enough for the last flush, The next issue will be be how much I can minimize the gallons I use an still get a proper flush.........

through this site the everyones input was helpful.

Glad everything is working. My biggest fears are always when non-boaters use the head.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

+ Reply to Thread