Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pulling Transmissions

Pulling Transmissions

Well, I am getting both transmissions rebuilt this year. This is the thing I have dreaded most. I have to cut some supports out of the inside of the boat so I can lift the transmissions up and out. If not, I would have to remove the generator and then each engine to get them out. It appears that this was done before on the port transmission as a strut was already cut out. Since the engines currently, and I put emphasis on the word currently, run without issues I don't want to pull them. I figure that if I am pulling the engines I will just get them rebuilt so that I don't need to pull them later. With the corrosion issues I had, my port side strut is shot and needs replaced, the starboard is in better condition but needs replaced as well. I am also going to repack the stuffing box for this as well.

So my questions are as follows:

1. What are your opinions on the engine situation? Just pull the tranny's or do it all?
    2. What are some of the areas that I need to be aware of that I am not thinking of?
    -I will be having the transmissions rebuilt at the company that purchased Paragon. They are giving me a pretty decent price for the work. I hope I can talk the tech into working for cash on the side to help put them back in.
    3. Even though I plan on getting someone that knows what they're doing to reinstall them, what should I expect? I am expecting a large PITA.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Why aren't you pulling the engine/transmission as a unit? You don't have to do anything with the engines, just bolt the tranny back on and drop it back in the hole. youll save your alignment that way.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Eyeballing it, it doesn't look like they can come out in 1 piece. I will have to take some measurements.

Dumb question but how do I keep my alignment if I am taking the transmission off after removing as one unit? Or are you suggesting I get it rebuilt while still attached?

The tranny is pined to the engine. It ends up in the same place. Alignment is determined by the engine mounts to the boat.

I spoke to a guy that used to work for Kingscraft. He said they put them together and then put them in the boat. I will have to remove the generator at that same time, however I wanted to get it worked on anyways. It really needs a tune up.

BTW why are you gettiing the transmissions rebuilt? they should be good for 3 to 4000 hours.

Starboard: Gear Dragging, Failing to engage at times, Fluid turns black quickly and smells burnt.
    Port: Leaks a lot, Failure to engage at times.

The port is in the better shape of the two, but it leaks more and more even with the additives you recommended before.

+ Reply to Thread