Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cruising range

Threaded View

Cruising range

I'm wondering how one figures the cruising range of a used boat before the purchase.
    In this case I am interested in a Harbor Master Stolkraft but then realized the problem applies to all the older boats particularly if they are a more obscure model.
    The obvious solution would be to ask the owner or broker but I am sorry to say that in this economy I find there is more less than truthful folk trying to move a vessel then honest ones.
    The only way I can see to hazard a guess is that with a 310 gal tank if you go slow enough you may get 1mpg.
    Any better suggestions?

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    You got it right.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

I found the same thing when shopping for houseboats. Fuel usage seems to be a mystery that nobody wants to disclose. Here are the figures for my boat for what they're worth:

RPM...GPH/Motor...Total GPH...Miles Per Hour...Miles Per Gallon
    2,000.......1.0..........2.0...............3.5.... .............1.8
    2,500.......1.3..........2.6...............4.9.... .............1.9
    3,000.......1.8..........3.6...............5.5.... .............1.5
    3,500.......2.4..........4.8...............5.7.... .............1.2
    4,000.......3.2..........6.4...............5.9.... .............0.9
    4,500.......4.0..........8.0...............6.3.... .............0.8
    5,000.......5.0.........10.0..............6.5..... ............0.7

This is with two 115 hp Mercury Outboards on a 60' X 18' aluminum pontoon boat towing a ski boat (a 21' MasterCraft). I think you're in the right ballpark figuring 1 mpg. If anything, you might be a little conservative.
    Last edited by Endurance; 12-26-2012 at 12:57 PM.

we have a 44 gibson executive with 454's. we run most of the time @ 2000 rpm's doing 14 mph and i get around 1.4 mpg using my gps for miles then refilling the tanks to check usage.
    Last edited by 42gibson; 12-21-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

47 Harbormaster with twin Crusader 350/270, maybe 1/2 time running 11kw generator. ~9 mph = ~1.3 mpg
    LongJohn
    Watts Bar Lake; Tn River

I think we see why no one discusses mpg's. Every boat is different and even when the hulls are similar like the Gibson and the Harbor Master there is a big difference.
    I have been considering the HM Coastal or the Blue Water Coastal.... very similar boats when it comes to hull but the Stolkraft has got my curiosity because of the wider beam... this would be my only home. Yes there will be berthing issues.
    On the patent for the hull there is a discussion regarding the Australian hull which was designed for high speed. Seems the hull had more resistance at low to med speeds so a change was made which results in improved fuel consumption at the lower end for the American patent which is used on the HM.
    I found only one article discussing the boat under way and this was on the Chesapeake..... 26 kts in 6-8 ft chop with no problem..... again everyone talks about the high end performance. I just want to cruise the water ways LOL

Bear in mind that fuel consumption is usually less at low speed. If you calculate an average of normal usage piddling around the bay, you may be disappointed on a long trip of sustained cruising. Every boat (and operator) is different.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

+ Reply to Thread