Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: This guy asking for trouble?

This guy asking for trouble?

I just saw an add for an old aluminum Marinette Seacrest that was completely updated. He has put stainless steel Struts with brass Cutlass and stainless steel rudders and brass bearings in the rudder housing. Isn't he going to have some major galvanic corrosion issues because of the dissimilar metals under water?

I dunno. I think he'd better keep really close eye on his zincs. The Offshore industry has been using aluminum crew boats for years, and I doubt that the props and shafts are aluminum. They must have a solution.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

If you're looking for a Marinette, my dock neighbor has a very nice one for sale in Nashville.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    If you're looking for a Marinette, my dock neighbor has a very nice one for sale in Nashville.
    Send me the details. jtalberts@yahoo.com

I called Marinette and to ask about the stainless steel struts and rudders. He said this is fine if the anodes are in good shape, the only issue he had was the brass cutlass bearings. They might cause an issue. I think the guy might be wrong, but he also mentioned this boat has the stock 22" props on it. That sounds like the boat is way overproppped.

Another thing I saw that was disappointing was that he replaced the generator and installed an air-cooled RV generator in the engine compartment. I am not sure how his exhaust for it is set up. He really went through a lot to rebuild this boat and I like the look of everything, but some of his decisions were a bit off.

http://houseboatsbuyterry.com/images...r/star-out.htm

'06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by JTAlberts View Post
    I called Marinette and to ask about the stainless steel struts and rudders. He said this is fine if the anodes are in good shape, the only issue he had was the brass cutlass bearings. They might cause an issue. I think the guy might be wrong, but he also mentioned this boat has the stock 22" props on it. That sounds like the boat is way overproppped.

Another thing I saw that was disappointing was that he replaced the generator and installed an air-cooled RV generator in the engine compartment. I am not sure how his exhaust for it is set up. He really went through a lot to rebuild this boat and I like the look of everything, but some of his decisions were a bit off.

http://houseboatsbuyterry.com/images...r/star-out.htm
    the main thing I noticed about the boat is that it has no rails
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Well, it is spiffy looking - sort of looks like a trendy big city loft inside. But that type of generator in the engine compartment is a definite no-no, no matter how he has the exhaust plumbed.

Agreed. I liked the look but major decisions he made for the design were poor. I have walked away from looking at it. I found another one that I am interested in.

+ Reply to Thread