Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tenn-Tom Waterway Question

Tenn-Tom Waterway Question

Starting tomorrow, there will be the perfect 'travel by water' weather for at least a week straight.

Problem: Most of the rivers, locks and dams, etc are or will be 4 feet or more above flood stage due to the storms of a few days ago. Not only will I be fighting river currents, but the floating logs will be out again.

The water level went from a normal level of 13', to above flood stage at 34' in just a few days.

I know this is a record 'crazy weather' year but I don't know what normal is for the Tenn-Tom.

Is this the norm for the Tenn-Tom, like up and down all year?

Should I wait it out till end of next week when water might be down again?

Or does this go on all summer long?

I don't know whether to delay my trip, AGAIN, or just take my chances.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Rivers and toilets definitely have 1 thing in common: floating logs ain't a good thing!

One thing you wouldn't have to worry much about would be running aground on bar somewhere, as they're likely far under water at flood stage, but the logs......

Have fun and be careful!
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

I've been boating on our river for quite some time. In my experience the worst time for debris is when the river is rising to a point just after cresting where it seems the debris flow slows down quite a bit. But even so being out isn't what I'd call actually safe water conditions. As the natural debris flow slows down to little or maybe nothing this is when every dock-owner, marina, etc. comes out in force cleansing their area of accumulated debris. The primary way it's done is by pushing or freeing it from their river area concern into the current to let it then flow downstream making it someone else's problem on downriver. Can't say it's right but it is the way of the river.

Here's a site I utilize for following projections on my river. Though the projected flow is sometimes in error it's still been useful for me at least. It's set Tombigee River at Bevill Lock and Dam but you can then hit upstream or even downstream links to broaden you scope of river speculation or futures.
    Respect Our Recreational Resources
    Leaving Only "Footprints of your Passing"

Boating on the Muskingum River
    1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
    2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

listen to OHB. its not worth the grief and the danger to leave a week early,wait it out.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Super Moderator
    This is not normal, it happens about onece every 6 or 7 years. You should be good to go by Thursday, when the junk hits Mobile Bay you and stops coming on you will be fine. look forward to seeing you.

+ Reply to Thread