Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: suggestion's or thoughts. vent filter

Threaded View

suggestion's or thoughts. vent filter

after installing a household commode on the HB, (replaced a straight drop), so now I want to add a charcoal in line vent filter from my holding tank. My question is the present 1 1/2 inch vent pipe, that's a rigged mount. no movement or play in this line. Would I be able to make the coupling with those rubber type clamps that are secured much like a hose clamp. IM looking to get a little wiggle room when putting the (homemade charcoal in line filter) in place?

You have it exactly right. You will ask the plumbing supply counter (or the Home Depot guy who's doing his best to understand plumbing) for a no-hub fitting. They come in two flavors. One is just the rubber connector and two clamps. A better kind has a stainless steel stiffening sleeve in the middle that connects the two clamps. The stainless kind is required by building codes in a lot of on-land settings. Either will work for you since you won't be seeing a code inspector in your boat. I think that I would use two no-hub connectors rather than gluing the charcoal filter. You will want to replace it once in a while.

As an alternative to a charcoal filter, you might consider just extending your vent stack higher. Mine terminated about two inches above my roof and had a nasty smell. That was a problem since on the roof is a favorite place to sleep for most of us on my boat. I used a few fittings and extended the vent stack alongside one of the legs of my party top. I am confident it still smells bad, but I don't care since I would have to climb up on my party top to smell it. Problem solved!

Vent our

Ours is out the side of the hull

I've seen some posted good looking homemade sewage vent filters and it actually seems easy enough to me at least. Anyway there is one potential problem you could or may encounter "pump-out". I encountered this reference to the topic:

A potential danger of traditional vent line filters is that your holding tank could collapse when being pumped out. This happens because as the waste in your holding tank is removed, air must enter the holding tank. The way the air comes in is through the vent line.

Since the air needs to go through the filter, it is not able to come in as quickly as the pump is removing stuff from the tank. This causes the pressure to become unbalanced and the holding tank will collapse. Itís as if you were to suck the air out of a plastic pop bottle. When you suck the air out you decrease the pressure inside of the bottle, causing it to collapse.

To reduce this possibility by including a special by-pass valve to effectively "turn off" the filter so that you can empty the holding tank with no chance of collapse due to filter restriction.
    This also should be easy enough to provide provisions for. Now a question? You have venting out the side of your hull. Is there going to be any chance effluent could somehow make it's way to the filter and make a nasty mess that you'd haft to then deal with?
    Respect Our Recreational Resources
    Leaving Only "Footprints of your Passing"

Boating on the Muskingum River
    1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
    2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Well there is a chance I could let it over flow into the filter . Much like there is a chance I could run out of fuel. As a HB er several issues when IM about the boat, Are always mentally gone over. I do like the heads up on a the suction issue when pumping out. I will look into that also. Good point

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    You don't have to worry about a suction issue with a household toilet. If you ever get that much suction it will just empty your bowl.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

My Raritan toilets gurgle while I'm pumping out. Is that normal? I know the tank is vented too.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

I think it is "normal". You could argue that if your system was set up and functioning perfectly, then it would not happen. Air has to go into the tank to replace what is being pumped out. If it is easier for the air to come through the toilet, then that is what will happen.

+ Reply to Thread