Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marinette Seacrest 41 widebody

Marinette Seacrest 41 widebody

Anyone have any feedback on the old Marinette Seacrest houseboats? I am looking at a 1973 41x14 Seacrest. I will be taking the first look at it on Sunday. If we like it we will be getting a full survey done on it so that we don't get any surprises like the last one.

I guess that is a no. LOL. We loved the boat. Just from previous experience I was able to pick out some issues that will need addressed.

1. Packing hasn't been changed in the stuffing box since this owner has had the boat. I am assuming that it is 7 years plus that the current packing has been in there. The owners own word were "It leaks like crazy the first few times you take her out at the beginning of the year, but they finally swell up and don't leak as much".
    2. Needs a full exhaust replacement for both engines. 2 of the exhaust manifolds are original and probably rusted out. The other 2 exhaust manifolds are 1987s and look a tiny bit better. The end caps and elbows are also an absolute mess.
    3. It has the original steel fuel tanks. These are located in the engine bay to the side of each engine. If I am pulling the engines for rebuilds then I will be getting these replaced as well.

Boat needs a little TLC here and there but wasn't overall bad. I really liked the look of it. We are possibly having the full survey done this weekend. This will be determined by scheduling and if the river cooperates. The surveyor sounds pretty detailed in all his tests so I am actually relaxed looking at this boat.
    Last edited by JTAlberts; 05-05-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Preliminary results from the survey are in and they sound decent. Engines were the short fall as expected. Manifolds leaked as they're rusted out. They weren't able to achieve the proper rpm at WOT either. Surveyor said most of the stuff was minor and I would have the full report on Sunday.

well atleast he's just confirming what you expected and hasn't found any other major issues.a good bargaining tool.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

+ Reply to Thread