Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sail vs. Power

Sail vs. Power

In our previous life we were Coastal and Open Water sailboat cruisers, mostly on the Gulf of Mexico and some Atlantic. Planning a trip was very easy. Across open water, just run a rhumb line from Point A to Point B and go non-stop. On coastal cruising from Tx. to Fl., just look along the beach areas, watch your depth finder and drop an anchor wherever you want. Life was simple.

From our recent inland river experience over the past 1100 river miles from Tx. to Alabama and then northward to the Tennessee River, we found inland rivers have there own set of challenges. Planning and vigilance are the key words of the day. You just cant drop anchor anywhere.

This is not to say that one is better than the other, just different.

I love the water any way I can get it.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

As a long-time, long-ago die-hard sailor, I wistfully read your account, and enjoyed the different perspective. Guess those days of rag-bagging it are gone, but fondly remembered.

I lived on Watkins 27 sailboat for 2 years, and that was the best time I had. I am not a sailor, but did motored a lot along Saint Johns river and inter-coastal (FL-GA). Now, I live on power boat while fixing my houseboat. My recent experience with sailboat told me to "stick" with shallow draft boats. 3 weeks ago, me and my friend, were moving Hunter 33 sailboat from St.Marys,GA to Green Cove Springs,fl. 4 days of adventure. In 3rd day of traveling - it was getting dark, so we decided to "drop the anchor" for the night. With all the excitements, we did not paid attention to the tide. 2 hours latter, the boat started to heel on starboard side - we were sitting in a mud. Hour latter, the rails were touching the river. After 4 long hours of freaking up, the tide come back and lift the boat - off we go. Advantage of a sailboat: free propulsion ( when available), 2hp outboard will push a boat (done that), open ocean. Disadvantage: wait for the "right" wind, long "stick" that restrict movement of inland waters ( low bridges) and lighting rod that can sink the boat ( I have seen that happen few times). Crampy places with narrow passages. Low visibility from inside the boat. I like the houseboat more.

+ Reply to Thread