Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Marine carpet alternative suggestions -- vinyl??

Threaded View

Marine carpet alternative suggestions -- vinyl??

So, we're tired of having to scrub the mildew out of the rear carpet on our boat. The carpet stays wet a lot because the rear of my boat sticks out of the slip and is exposed to the elements year-round. I'm going to add a gutter to the roof of my slip to keep the morning dew off the boat, which will help.

At any rate, I need to replace the cheapo carpet on the back of the boat. I'm interested in non-carpet options, like vinyl flooring.

Can any of you share any experience with non-carpet flooring? What brands are best and how much do they run per foot?

A carpet installer told me I could get a good quality marine carpet for $1.25 sq ft and I need about 330 sq ft for the rear of the boat. Seems OK, but I'm still interested in vinyl.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Has a pontoon boat special ordered with vinyl and loved it. Have a length of new marine vinyl in the basement awaiting installation on the front and back deck of our current boat. This vinyl came from Bill5500 and it appears the price we paid awhile back is still holding. We got the tan for our boat but the Teak look would make for a pretty upgrade for more money of course. My concern for your use would be seams, but if it could be installed seam free IMHO it would be a no brainer.
    Respect Our Recreational Resources
    Leaving Only "Footprints of your Passing"

Boating on the Muskingum River
    1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
    2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Just be ready to spend the time and/or money to remove all of the carpet glue.

Have you considered Durabak or Rhinoliner (truck bed liner)? Just roll it on. They also make a plastic type mesh for use around swimming pools. Drains much better than carpet and is UV resistant. I can't remember what it's called but looks like really thin colored spaghetti ;-)

Bamby, that's some nice lookin' stuff there! That's exactly what I had in mind for my rear deck! I sent the guy an e-mail. It says $0.90 per linear ft. How does that translate to sq ft cost?

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    Bamby, that's some nice lookin' stuff there! That's exactly what I had in mind for my rear deck! I sent the guy an e-mail. It says $0.90 per linear ft. How does that translate to sq ft cost?
    It's 9 dollars a foot (see link above) which is 8'6" wide which = out to be about 90 cents per sq. foot. It's nice stuff it sort of reminds you of short carpet with it's texture and there is some sort of fabric backing on the bottom side of the vinyl.
    Respect Our Recreational Resources
    Leaving Only "Footprints of your Passing"

Boating on the Muskingum River
    1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
    2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Carpet is cheap, looks good, is not slippery,and is easy on the feet. Lasts 4 to 7 years. Why would ou want anything else. How long are you going to own the boat?
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Do you know how miserable it is to replace carpet on a bigger houseboat? It days days to scrapping and grinding to get the old carpet and glue off. Why would I want to do that every 4-7 years?

Two things that are poorly designed on houseboats. Gel coating the roof and putting carpet on something that is wet 90% of the time. I would be all for some sort of vinyl flooring.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar

Yep, we had 7 houseboats. When I put down new carpet I scraped off what I could, put another coat of glue down and relaid the carpet. Never saw a need to grind anything down dead smooth. Never kept a boat long enough to put down a second carpet job.

[QUOTE=Jeepster04;3588]Do you know how miserable it is to replace carpet on a bigger houseboat? It days days to scrapping and grinding to get the old carpet and glue off. Why would I want to do that every 4-7 years?
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

I really like the vinyl teak material the best. Problem is, the guy selling it doesn't know who makes it or much about the material in general. Unless I can reasearch and get comfortable with what I'm buying 1st, it's no deal.

Point of getting vinyl, as I said initially, is because we're tired of the mildew growing in the carpet and having to scrub it out a couple times a month. Vinyl doesn't have that issue.

Bet On Another Thousand

+ Reply to Thread