Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't get a freaking break

Can't get a freaking break

New boat came up from Cincinnati yesterday. Somwhere along the way, the generator kicked on. It is now toast! So I was debating to either get it rebuilt or put a new one in sometime in the future. The boat made the decision for me.

Was it being trailered or was it being sailed up to you? If a crew sailed it up to you or trucked it for you, their insurance should cover it.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

It was trucked to me. I called my insurance company for some guidance. The driver of course offered little information on what the standard process for that would be.

I'm guessing the gen overheated and melted itself? I wonder why it didn't have an overheat shutoff feature. I was told my Westerbeke has that safety feature.

Bet On Another Thousand

Go Vals

Tomorrow, we will be driving to Nashville to see Elvis Costello at the old original Grand Ole Opre.

Are you and your boat anywhere near the downtown area?
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Here is a picture of it. On a positive note, it appears my insurance company is going to take care of it.

7.5 Kohlers like yours had a demand start option on them ( no longer allowed ), it would have tried to run when there was a demand ( battery charger, frig, ect) there is an over temp switch on it but it must be bad ( on the side of the head) or did it burn up because it just kept cranking over.

Either way dead is dead, the good news is than carcus will make someone happy as I see several parts on there that are no longer available from Kohler and can only be gotten from scrap generators like this one.

It seems your break came in the form that your insurance company is covering it AND you'll be getting a new generator! Not bad 'eh?

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
    Are you and your boat anywhere near the downtown area?
    Hey Tony! I'm sorry I missed this message. We're located on Percy Priest, not Old Hickory, which is likely where you were. I hope you guys enjoyed the show!

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Tyme View Post
    7.5 Kohlers like yours had a demand start option on them ( no longer allowed ), it would have tried to run when there was a demand ( battery charger, frig, ect) there is an over temp switch on it but it must be bad ( on the side of the head) or did it burn up because it just kept cranking over.

Either way dead is dead, the good news is than carcus will make someone happy as I see several parts on there that are no longer available from Kohler and can only be gotten from scrap generators like this one.

What I don't get is why it didn't try to start when it was on the hard or pulling it out.

+ Reply to Thread