Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can't get a freaking break

Quote Originally Posted by JTAlberts View Post
    What I don't get is why it didn't try to start when it was on the hard or pulling it out.
    Hard to say, but if the insurance is going to cover it you will be ahead of the game. I had a 7.5KW Kohler for about 10 years and liked it alot, easy to work on, but I now have a 12.5KW Westerbeke and it beats my old Kohler hands down.

Here is an update for you. The insurance company is cutting a check today and sending it to my house. I now have to decide if I really want the new Generator..... I will get the new generator.

That was quick. Are you going to replace it with the same?

Westerbeke 8.0 is what was priced out. The Kohler is cheaper however from the reading I have done it runs at a higher RPM. They also say it is louder.

What likely started it was water. Rain, humidity, whatever- We had a Winnebago a few years ago, and if you drove it in the rain, the generator would start itself. But my favorite story is when I changed the ignition switches on my flybridge right after we bought the SkipperLiner. The same night it rained, and the starboard engine started itself up... scared the bejeezus out of us! And while I was trying to figure out how to shut it down, the port engine fired up! All because the cheap ignition switches got wet and closed the circuit to the starters...
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32 *for sale*
    2003 Chaparral 260 SSI
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

One of the pleasures of owning a boat... there's always something to fix!
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

Quote Originally Posted by Frantically Relaxing View Post
    But my favorite story is when I changed the ignition switches on my flybridge right after we bought the SkipperLiner. The same night it rained, and the starboard engine started itself up... scared the bejeezus out of us! And while I was trying to figure out how to shut it down, the port engine fired up! All because the cheap ignition switches got wet and closed the circuit to the starters...
    I would have been calling a priest to come an peform an exercism on my boat if it did that! LOL!
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

After reading a few other posts like that, I started putting my engine in reverse after shutting down. It won't crank in gear.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

Quote Originally Posted by Stmbtwle View Post
    After reading a few other posts like that, I started putting my engine in reverse after shutting down. It won't crank in gear.
    Not a bad idea.

One of my engines has a hot weather dieseling problem, I always shut it off in gear.

+ Reply to Thread