Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: expenses continue

One of the dubious pleasures of having an engine that will run for 40 years is that parts can be hard to find, and when you do find them, they're expensive.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

I guess I'm getting off lucky--

We bought our SkipperLiner in June 2006. My yearly slip fees were $600 until 2 years ago when a new owner bought the harbor, since then $900. I pay about $40 a month for power for 6 months. I burn less than 100 gallons of gas a season...

Maintenance- a few bucks for oil changes and pink antifreeze every year. I've replaced the impellers once, they were already on the boat when I bought it. I've bought one pair of props for $120 each. Full bottom painted once, $600 for paint, borrowed a steam cleaner to help with prep. Partial bottom paint once, $400. Painted the hull and topside, $700 ($500 was labor because a friend needed the money). Paid $160 for 165' of cheap outdoor HD carpet for the top, still have enough to do the top 2 more times.

Repairs done: Had to remove and replace a 3 x 6' section of roof that rotted via invisible cracked gelcoat (courtesy of a PWC dropped on the roof by the PO), whole repair cost me about $200. Had to replace one starter, $130. Had to replace a plastic plumbing Tee in the basement, and a water faucet. No other repairs in 9 seasons needed to the engine, outdrive, generator or cabin. I DO have repairs and maintenance to do once I get the boat pulled (been in the water 3-1/2 years)-- Starboard drive needs a hydraulic hose, and the gimbal bearing is starting to make a bit of noise. I'll probably change both bearings and u-joint sets. I'm going to change the risers on both engines. The roof is getting stripped and resealed with 2-part roll-on EPDM. And the big project, sandblasting and refinishing the hull (which I'll be doing most of myself)...

My new dock neighbor bought a 5 year old Chaparral Signature 270 cruiser earlier this year. He's already spent over $7000 in upgrades, maintenance and repairs on the thing. I have absolutely NO complaints with my houseboating expenses!
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32 *for sale*
    2003 Chaparral 260 SSI
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

One of the dubious pleasures of having an engine that will run for 40 years is that parts can be hard to find, and when you do find them, they're expensive.
    Tell me about it. My Sea Ray is 42 years old and has the original engine, never rebuilt. Fortunately it's a rather common GM 250. The made millions of them and parts are readily available, even marine parts, but they aren't cheap.

Welcome to the hole-in-the-water club!

Mine is an old Perkins... 1000 hrs since rebuild. Runs great but does need a bit from time to time; of course everything marked "diesel" is that much more expensive. Finally sent the bad piece back to TAD (who built it for me) and they replaced the part, for about half what the local shop wanted. The engine and I are both happy.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

+ Reply to Thread