Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: expenses continue

Quote Originally Posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER View Post
    The next owner won't have problem 1 for at least 5 years.
    Unless I bought it.

You would have problems if you bought a brand new one. It is always something. I had to replace one of the drive oil reservoirs. No big deal, but why does a plastic container and a sensor cost $85?

Sorry to hear about your problems. By saying "That's boat life" doesn't ease the aggravation and the wallet pain.
    Those of you that haven't been there yet, you will be.
    That not wanting to go to the boat for fear of "What's next?" is something I went through this year in Gulfport, Ms. After everything was fixed, I was still scared to venture off again.
    When I got 1/2 way up the Tenn-Tom Waterway, I had another minor problem - it's always something. Fortunately, Pirate knew someone that got me squared away.

Your problem would be more frustrating since it didn't even happen on the water.
    Eventually, everything will settle down, at least that's what I try to convince myself.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

I too am frustrated with mine. Couldn't go out this weekend since motor is not running. Went and spent 4500 for a nice runabout instead of fixing houseboat simply because I'm tired of spending money on it to watch something else go wrong

If I ever build another houseboat I don't think I'll even have an engine. Just push it around with the fishing boat.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

I did the math........

Over the last 7 years we have owned our 1979 houseboat, total annual expenses for buoy rental, hauling, launching, winter storage, insurance, licensing, fuel, upgrades, and repairs has averaged $2,000 a year. In the season from May to end of Sept we are on the boat on average 18 days. A lot of those days included socializing with friends.
    Our 6 day trip to Cancun last year for our family of 4 cost me $7,800.
    Our 5 day trip to Las Vegas cost me $5700.
    The 7 day Caribbean cruise we took in 2012 was a bargain at a grand total of $6,100 and that is only because we drove an exhausting 17 hours each way to catch the boat and back.

In my book, the houseboat is a superior bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Stmbtwle View Post
    If I ever build another houseboat I don't think I'll even have an engine. Just push it around with the fishing boat.
    There is a guy at our lake that does that. Pulls his around with a jetski. Actually, he doesn't do it himself; he has to have one of his kids or friends do it ----- the DNR keeps an eye on him ---- he's not allowed to drive a car or boat do to his drinking. They caught him towing his houseboat with a jetski a few weeks ago and brought him back up the lake in cuffs.

Feeling your pain. We've been replacing the 2x12 header, or whatever you call it, around the boat just below the top deck. It was sold as treated, IIRC, but all but two of them are quite rotted, and it's a pita to paint, trim, and replace them. Truly aggravating to have to rebuild stuff when there is still so much left to build in the first place. I must admit envy watching my neighbors out cavorting and splashing and towing their kids around on floaty toys, while we are trying to get our boat in shape enough just to go for a ride. On the other hand, we've had some grand coolish weather for at least being aboard and being rocked to sleep. And many complimentary remarks about the partly finished and still-unplumbed, but pretty galley. The good news is that thanks to a full-time work schedule, Our Hero can afford to buy boards and paint. The bad news is that he's spending so much time at the office that there's no time to work on the boat.

Yes I've been chasing rot too for the past few years (one of the pleasures of a mostly wooden boat). Good news is that since I BUILT the boat, I know how to fix it.

The hard part is finding those darned "round tuits". As I get older, they seem to get scarcer.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

Yup! Ain't it the truth'

+ Reply to Thread