Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Closed Cooling/Radiator

Going to look at something like longjohn has

Longjohn has described a pretty standard split system. It's the same thing that East TN described in his boat. They use recirculating coolant in the engine block and raw water in the exhaust manifolds. There isn't a thing wrong with them except that the cost is likely overkill unless you boat in salt water, brackish water, or really muddy fresh water.

I understand and will look into the cost/time/complexity. I am pretty sure I am yanking the old Mercury 228 TR out and replacing it with a new/ newer motor/out-drive..IF I can afford it (think I can based on a rough quote by neighboring marina). My goal is to not have to worry about the engine for another 15 years, outside of normal maintenance. When I turn the key it starts is major. I feel those are reasonable goals. I may be over-thinking this as the present engine is a 1977 and only went out after the ex did not winterize it. It just makes me shutter to think of raw water being in the engine but again this is normal for all outboard/inboards. So I answer my own question / thread I am overthinking this.

I work in metals so welding a new transom plate is easy and I can have it cut with a water-jet to fit a new engine pattern.
    Is there anywhere on the web that has used engine/out-drive combos?

+ Reply to Thread