Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coast Guard Registration

Coast Guard Registration

How many of you have your boat registered with the CG instead of the state? There was no advantage for me when my boat was in TN, but there is an advantage in GA/SC.

DitchRider is documented. Down here large boats seem easier to sell if they're documented.

our state registration is 78$ for 3 years and it keeps the dnr off your boat asking why it has no registration numbers displayed.ours was documented when we bought it and we registered it with the state.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

When we bought ours in TN, our broker told us that TN doesn't require registration if it's a CG documented vessel - he was wrong. We had to go back and redo some of our paperwork and register it through the state of TN after we had gone through the CG process. In the end, I only post my TN registration on the boat b/c it keeps the TWRA off my back.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    There is a mistaken impression that taxes can be avoided on Documented vessels. NOT TRUE! Unless you have a BIG boat it's not worth the effort.

However a documented boat is sometimes easier to sell due to the fact that liens are harder to hide on a documented vessel. Makes financing easier with some banks.

I documented 2 of my boats, it's a real PITA.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

The property tax thing depends on the state. Some states check, some don't. KY gives you a property tax break on your boat if it is CG documented.

Sales taxes are a different thing - unless you play the "I am a dealer" game, there is no break on sales tax.

This lake straddles two states. I will spend about four years worth of GA or SC registration fees paying to have it CG documented. That is why I am considering having it documented. If I do get it documented, the hailing port is going to be Happy, TX - which is legal.

You know what's crazy too? When my CG registration needed renewing the 1st time, I started getting a bunch of letters in the mail from 3rd party companies that would handled the hassle of renewing the registration for me. These came in advance of the CG's forms, so I really had no understanding of what it involved, but started getting worried it was a PITA. These companies wanted $65 ~ $100 to do this for me annually! When I received the CG's paperwork, all it took was signing a form and sending in $5...... WTH?!

I'm thinking all those companies were a scam of some sort.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

They just wanted to help - to help lighten up your wallet.

I am paying a guy to do the initial documentation. He charges about $150 over the fees and "guarantees" his work. He does a lot of the boats on Cumberland.

Super Moderator
    I am a documentation agent, 25 states do not require registration when Documented. Al. does not require registration if it is a commercial vessel. Tn has gone crazy on taxes, if you have had your boat 20 years they will try and charge sales tax if you register it in Tn.

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    When I received the CG's paperwork, all it took was signing a form and sending in $5...... WTH?!
    I renew mine every year and have yet to pay anything, just sign it and send it in, paperwork is usually back in a week.

+ Reply to Thread