Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Don't People Like Houseboats in the Florida Keys

Don't People Like Houseboats in the Florida Keys

So we've got our eyes out on a larger boat and we're seriously thinking about putting DitchRider up on the market. It's currently on our dock down in the Florida Keys (Key Largo) about 30 miles from Miami.

I've talked to a couple brokers who are telling me that the boat is excellent but because it's "South Florida" that the boat isn't in the right location for selling. If it was on the Tenn-Tom that it would sell really quick.

Really???! No one likes houseboats in the Keys?

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    The keys are basicically on open water. Houseboats are designed for protected waters. They aren't designed for blue water operation and and most people want a boat with better seakeeping capabilities in these areas. Many insurance companies are reluctant to insure a house boat in those areas. Most house boats arent designed for salt water and suffer faster deteriroration of fittings and equipment. Your boat shows a lot of rust around the exhaust ports. - Typical salt water effect.

"Tennessee is the place to be".
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

OHB nailed it.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Super Moderator
    Bring it on I will sell it, a houseboat in salt depreciates twice the amount of a cruiser and 3 times as fast as a yacht.

It's amazing how many contradicting opinions there are.. All the freshwater people say it's a problem... I've got others saying not a problem.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    We don't say it's a problem we just present it the way it is. I have owned 7 houseboats plus cruisers and runabouts. I sold boats for Pirate who has sold both fresh and salt water boats for over 50 years.

For sure list it with a broker who says it's not a problem. We both wish you all the luck in the world but the truth is you would br better off transporting it to an area where houseboats are more of the norm. In Florida it would be the area from St Augestine to Sanford.

To answer your question "Don't people like houseboats in the Keys". No, not many.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

People on the coast THINK they need a "seagoing" boat... till (like me) they've been there and done that. Eventually a lot of them realize that getting beat half to death for a $100/lb fish just isn't worth it, and go looking for something more comfortable and less expensive (houseboat).

Hang in there...
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

Are you guys liveaboards? If so, sail it up north and list it for sale in a hot market and then fly down to FL to buy your new boat.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

I think GoVols and Pirate are right. If the folks in the keys don't want a houseboat (right or wrong), it's best to find a more interested market.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

I just moved my boat from TN to GA because of changing jobs. Even with the transport costs figured in, I gained over $10,000 in equity in the boat just by moving it because the houseboat market where I was in TN was weak. Can you get your boat to the TennTom via water? If so, you might want to take a "working" holiday and motor it up to Pirate.

+ Reply to Thread