Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TV antenna advice needed

TV antenna advice needed

My boat has a ~2005 model Shakespeare Seawatch model 2030 over the air TV antenna. It's mounted to my arch on top of the boat. When I first bought the boat, I was very disappointed by the reception quality and very few channels that it could tune in while out on anchor, so I bought a basic flat digital HDTV antenna from Wal-Mart and I can now get 30 channels very clearly. Problem is, the cheapo antenna doesn't mount to the boat and I'm not drilling any more holes to do so. Each time we go out, I disconnect the cable from the Seawatch antenna and connect the cheapo and then throw the cheapo on top of my party top bimini. So, it's a bit ghetto, but it works.

At this point, the oldd disk on the arch is basically decoration, but I'd like to buy something that'll mount in that same spot. Shakespeare's sales guy told me that my current model antenna is not tuned in to grab the modern UHF signals, which is where most of the digital channels are now. He told me to buy a new Seawatch 2030-G model.

What equipment do you guys have for viewing TV away from the dock? I don't want dish capable stuff b/c that's way too much money. Is buying a new disk worth it?
    Can anyone with a new(er) Shakespeare Seawatch over-the-air TV antenna tell me how well these things work?
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Take your Seawatch apart and replace the guts with the cheapo. Todays antennas only require a single coil of wire. Some have amplifiers. Be creative.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

We've used a Leaf and a ClearStream

Both worked really well

Good knowledge to clip-and-save for someday. We built in a place on a bulkhead to mount a TV, in case we ever wanted one, and now wonder if we would ever use it. Our weekends away and afternoons on the sound have been so marvelously peaceful and entrancing, we can't imagine spoiling it with the nonstop inanity of broadcast TV. Wonder how long it will take for all that nature to get boring?

I will eventually add a satellite dish to mine. I would like to be able to anchor out and watch some games that aren't broadcast over the air.

A tech person from Shakespeare called me this morning to talk about my system. She said they're about to launch 3 new TV antennas that will replace all their current ones. I volunteered to be a test person for this market, but she didn't fall for that one.

Turns out my current 2030 disk on my boat is capable of tuning in the HDTV digital signals. All it needs is the correct plug that powers the disk's amplifiers inside the disk. So, instead of buying a whole new system, all I had to do is buy a $20 plug! It's in the maiil today and I'll install it this weekend! Man, I finally catch a break on something!
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

+ Reply to Thread