Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Newbie seeking advice on which old houseboat to buy for major renovation/modern home

The difference between 12 foot and 14 is huge.

I would never own a 12 after motoring both, 12 and 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    Thanks for posting Mimi, been way too long since I visited this blog.
    PS: Sorry I missed y'all this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by jack88 View Post
    42gibson- have you found that its more cost effective to rebuild an existing hull as opposed to starting from scratch with a new hull?

Amelia- Why did you guys decide to build from scratch as opposed to a major remodel of an existing houseboat? Do you have a thread you could send me a link to showing your build?

I'd like to compare the costs of starting from scratch as opposed to doing a major overhaul. For example, for a 12x40 bare hull in aluminum (pontoon or barge), what should I expect to pay?
    first of all I wouldn't go for anything but 14 foot or more wider,12 is very small inside,14 is nice and 16 is great.it all depends on what you can get a good hull or pontoons for but at any rate its all expensive even if you do the work yourself and if you hire it out its very expensive.if I had the money I would buy what I want already done.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Quote Originally Posted by BananaTom View Post
    Thanks for posting Mimi, been way too long since I visited this blog.
    PS: Sorry I missed y'all this summer.
    Hi, Tom,
    We will be back, probably sooner than later, and we will make a point of hunting you down. This trip was lovely, water and weather both perfect, but demanding...92 y/o mother in wheelchair to care for, and my bad cold, and obligations.... Heck, I need a vacation after that trip!

How often are you going to move it? Generally speaking, there is not that much difference in the states in moving a 14' wide boat vs a 12' wide boat. Even 16' is not that bad. Move up to 18' and you will be in big money territory concerning permits. I have moved a 12' wide twice, a 14' wide once, and a 18' wide twice.

And, each foot of width is a big change in interior living space.

i just upgraded from a 40x12 to a 40x14 and the difference is night and day. I am still helping the guy who bought my old boat work on it and it feels so cramped when I am in there. I upgraded to the 12 wide from a 10 wide and that was just as great.

Quote Originally Posted by easttnboater View Post
    How often are you going to move it? Generally speaking, there is not that much difference in the states in moving a 14' wide boat vs a 12' wide boat. Even 16' is not that bad. Move up to 18' and you will be in big money territory concerning permits. I have moved a 12' wide twice, a 14' wide once, and a 18' wide twice.

And, each foot of width is a big change in interior living space.
    I'm expecting that we will want to move it about once every 2-3 years. Unfortunately, when I say move, I'm talking from Lake of the Woods, in Ontario, Canada to Colorado or somewhere else in the west. (1200 miles or so)

I've looked at buying a modular home in the past, and have always read that 16' is the max unless you want to spend big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER View Post
    http://www.u-fabboats.com/

Go at least 14' wide
    I got a quote from these guys- a 40' X 14' twin-pontoon hull will cost me around $25 grand. That seems excessively high. Your thoughts? That's one of the reasons I figured buying an existing aluminum hull pontoon houseboat, and then doing a total remodel would be a lot more cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by jack88 View Post
    I got a quote from these guys- a 40' X 14' twin-pontoon hull will cost me around $25 grand. That seems excessively high. Your thoughts? That's one of the reasons I figured buying an existing aluminum hull pontoon houseboat, and then doing a total remodel would be a lot more cost effective.
    try destination yachts and playcraft for a quote.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Aqua Chalet seems closest to your specs. Check them out. They might sell you a shell.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

+ Reply to Thread