Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Routing LPG Lines

Routing LPG Lines

I have decided to ditch my 2 40Lb tanks and swap for two 20's, keeping one on line and one spare.
    Now for where to put them. I have a 1986 DC model and was wondering where and how to route my LPG line into the boat. My latest thoughts are to put the LPG tank on the Fly Bridge and route the gas line down through the existing hole along with my steering cables. This would get the line into the boat and down into the engine compartment and up into the forward head. From here I can go through the bulkhead and make my connection to the stove from possibly the cabin under the stove.

This takes care of my stove. Now for item No. 2. Can I get a "Y" or "T" connector and put it in the forward head so I can connect to both the stove and instant-on hot water heater? Or, do I have to run 2 separate lines from the Fly Bridge? I haven't checked yet so I am not sure if either or both of these items requires a regulator or not. If both do or both dont I have no problem and I'm back to original question about "Y" or "T". If one does and one dont require a regulator, then I have no choice but to go with 2 separate lines.

Although this is a 'pointy fron't houseboat, these questions are somewhat generic.

Thanks in advance.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Here's a good read on the subject Tony... BTW I've noticed you've got this question posted everywhere...

LP Gas Systems Part 1: Installation and Safety

LP Gas Systems: Installation And Safety Part II

Thanks Bamby.
    Interesting and informative reading.
    And yes, it is posted everywhere - the true value of copy and paste.
    BTW, what other forums are you on?
    Regards

Tony B

PS: What I have learned is NO "Y"'s or "T"'s inside the boat which means each appliance requires its own separate line.
    As for running the lines under the floor which means slight exposure to the engine compartment, that does not concern me. The lines will be nowhere near the engines.
    Last edited by Tony B; 12-30-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    Houseboater at Heart

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Tony I actually visit a lot of them, but as far as actually posting in them not so much. Many forums like this one here have some or several knowledgeable key members that do an admiral job of helping folks out with their problems or questions. So I usually sit back and attempt to absorb some useful knowledge that may or may not be useful to me down the road. I'm really out my league here though with my little shanty-boat. But she actually does all we need her to do quite well, efficiently, and pretty inexpensively. So I can't really ask for more out of her.

Some bookmarked forums I sometimes follow:

Forums I'm Involv.jpg

I ain't got that kinda time. LOL

Since I sold my woodworking business last Feb, I have not been active on any woodworking forums. Been too busy with boat forums.
    I participate regularly on 4, including this one. This is by far the friendliest with zero fussing. I just wish there was more action here, but then again, action comes from large membership. Large membership leads to many undesirables and then we would be just like the rest.

Anyway, still trying to begin our trip by Late Feb to early April. Lots of work still ahead on the new-to-me boat. Mostly unimportant stuff to keep the admiral happy.
    I'm trying to finish up on the teak and holly salon sole but just can't seem to fit it into my sched. Hopefully it will be done soon.
    Houseboater at Heart

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Bamby, excellent reference. I have known Steve D'Antonio for a while and he is extremely knowledgeable. The articles he writes are very informative and technically excellent. But to emphasize one of his points. Follow the ABYC standard A-1 LPG systems. Here's a link to an old copy from 2006. http://www.marinesurveyorschool.org/...%20Systems.pdf There is an updated version, but you would have to buy it from ABYC. www.abycinc.org.

+ Reply to Thread