Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hit something

Hit something

Coming back from the Sternwheel festival in Wheeling on Saturday night at about 5 knots we hit a sunken log. It was foggy coming off the river and I didn't see it at all. After hitting it, I was getting some terrible vibration on the starboard engine whenever giving it more gas than just idle. I ran the rest of the way on one engine up to the docks. I need both engines to dock so I fired the starboard back up and put it in reverse. At this point I was perpendicular with the current and I could hear the thing starting to vibrate again. After a second it went back to normal. I believe what ever we hit was stuck on us. After that, everything seemed normal. I plan on taking the boat for a short trip to test it out this week. If it is acting up I am planning on pulling the boat in a couple weeks anyways.

Hope all is OK! Pretty scary when that happens. Did you get any water entering at the drive shaft?
    Formerly owned a 16X69' Sailabration

Bet On Another Thousand

That is weird. It definitely sounds like you had something hung up or wrapped around a prop or shaft. Maybe you got lucky and nothing got bent. Let us know.

My slip at our new lake in GA is tight and they have lowered the lake several feet. Two weeks ago, I thought I was in the mud bottom, because I sure stirred up a ton of mud on the opposite bank. I checked the props and there were no nicks on them, so I just prop washed the shore a bit.
    Last edited by easttnboater; 09-15-2014 at 09:48 AM.

I went running to the back to check for water as I remember what happened with Gibson42. Bilge was still dry when we tied it at the dock. It was late and night and I wasn't in the mood for a chilly dip in the water to check.

I had a large rope wrap my prop once. Thought I was going to have to send a diver ~ $100 to pull it, and then $350 to re-balance the prop.

The diver cut the rope loose, everything was great.

On another note, I have hit something three times before, took out the balance of both props, $850 per impact.

Finally got the boat pulled out for winter and got to look at my running gear. Prop looks great, strut looks great, but my shafts appears to have a slight bend. Would even the slightest bend cause major vibration? I get it above 1400 rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by JTAlberts View Post
    Finally got the boat pulled out for winter and got to look at my running gear. Prop looks great, strut looks great, but my shafts appears to have a slight bend. Would even the slightest bend cause major vibration? I get it above 1400 rpms.
    absolutely, we had a bad vibration above 1400 rpm's when we took the boat to Cincinnati,the props looked ok to the naked eye but the port prop was bent and the shaft was also.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Talked to the prop shop today. The guy told me to just buy a new shaft as it would cost only a couple hundred bucks for a new shaft. After a google search I am not finding anything close to that cost. I found that shaft straightening can be done for around $150. Anyone have any experience with getting a bent shaft straightened? Let the jokes begin....

Quote Originally Posted by JTAlberts View Post
    Talked to the prop shop today. The guy told me to just buy a new shaft as it would cost only a couple hundred bucks for a new shaft. After a google search I am not finding anything close to that cost. I found that shaft straightening can be done for around $150. Anyone have any experience with getting a bent shaft straightened? Let the jokes begin....
    I had 2 shafts straightened and re-keyed the cost was 250$.if you cant get them done bring them to Marietta.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

+ Reply to Thread