Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wood Floors

Wood Floors

Thinking about putting wood floors in my 75' Fantasy. Has anyone done this? Wondering if it would be best to use laminate, or solid; float the floor, glue the floor, or nail. Thank you in advance!

we have put wood floors in 2 boats now with no problems. we nailed both down.my brother put it down in his and glued it but I like nailing in case I ever want to take it up.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

I used engineered mahogany and floated it over a vapor proof barrier. Put quarter round all around the edges. This is the snap together. 3-4 years old now looks great!

I have seen it in several boats. Some look good, some don't. Hatches seem to be the difficult part. Also, you need to look closely at how you use your boat. If you have wet people coming in and out of it, it would be real careful of what type of flooring I put in it. Some of the thick vinyl plank product looks really close to real wood.

Wooden flooring looks good in boats . We have done wooden flooring in our house and boats from denver renovations . It has changed the look of boat and there is no problem in wooden flooring.

One thing to look for before you start, is the space between the floor and the bottom edge of the base trim. In a lot of houseboats you'll find the space 3/8" and the 3/8" engineered flooring fits nicely. If the flooring is thicker than the space between the flooring and base trim, you'll have lots of inside and outside corners to trim. I guess it depends on whoever the trim guy was at the time, in my previous boat I laid 3/8", in my current boat the space was 1/2". You'll find a good selection of 1/2" available, as I think the flooring companies are following the candy bar makers...giving you less for the same money. If you strictly glue the flooring you'll need to be careful walking (providing you are cutting out on the front or rear decks) as it can slide on you and cause gaps.

The hardest part is prepping....whoever shoots staples in the carpet pad, must think they have a machine gun....

I think the guys at the houseboat manufacturers were paid by the carpet staple.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    I put down Parquat. It looked good but popped from moisture. Had to sand edges for clearance and reglue. Wouldn't do it again. Vynil tile and carpet for me.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

I would pressure wash it to knock the loose stuff off first. Also, be aware that to comply with all of the environmental restrictions, you supposed to catch, bag, and dispose of all of everything correctly. And, by everything, I mean everything.
    You can easily check out our best quality 200-101 exam dumps prepare you well for the real lean six sigma for dummies You can also get success in real exam of ccna and ccnp - Test-king.com with the quality Pittsburg State University questions and ccie voice Tabor College answers.

I put down vinyl plank in my boat 44' Gibson and the hatchs were a challenge, one of the hatchs was in the main walkway in front of the refridgerator, about 12" x 12". I didn't want any latches or hinges just a smooth surface as to not scrape your feet on then. So on the hatch door, just underneath the vinyl, in the plywood I countersank four steel fender washers, (one in each corner) they are hidden under the vinyl, contact cement is used to hold the vinyl to the plywood underneath. With a rare earth magnet I can find any one of the washer to lift the hatch up. With a matching paint, I sprayed the frame and edges of the vinyl to blend in. People don't see the hatch and that is what I was looking to achieve. I don't think this can be done with wood flooring as it is to thick for the magnet to grab the washer below.

+ Reply to Thread