Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another Roof Coating Thread - What are You using and How Has it Held Up

Another Roof Coating Thread - What are You using and How Has it Held Up

I've noticed that the number of roof coating threads here is not as strong as I would expect based on how often it seems to need done. I thought I would try again to get one going to help me and others decide what to install as a DIY solution

So, I was leaning toward Durabak, but after noting that the coverage is only 60 ft2 per gallon - I think I am leaning another direction. That would be a cost of about $700 for my boat roof. Just seems excessive to me. I can do the gelcoat solution, but that is a more "techniquish" answer for a DIY person.

At this point I am leaning toward Interlux Britghtside. A one part polyurethane paint with very good coverage. Any thoughts or other less expensive alternatives I should consider?

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Adding a polymer anti slip additive such as Interlux or Sharkebite to any deck enamal gives a durable , foot friendly, coating that is easy to clean. Also a big plus is recoating is not a problem.

Sharkbite is available at Ace Hardware.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Found it on Amazon. Seems easy on the foot based on the description. Great tip, thanks!

Gel coat is not that hard. The prep for gel coat should be the same as any coating. The big deal with gel coat is to know the real temperature and humidity so that you can measure out the hardener correctly.

If I wanted a never have to do it again solution, then I would get the roof professionally bedliner coated.

Quote Originally Posted by easttnboater View Post
    If I wanted a never have to do it again solution, then I would get the roof professionally bedliner coated.
    LOL, that would cost more than my houseboat is worth ................

Quote Originally Posted by thompsdw View Post
    LOL, that would cost more than my houseboat is worth ................
    Mine, too!

I used to use "Kool Seal" which works well but is hard to keep clean. A couple years ago after washing the roof I painted it with high-gloss latex paint. That works well, reflects the heat and is easy to keep clean. Water-based paint has come a long way.
    Last edited by Stmbtwle; 10-08-2014 at 01:55 PM.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

It is pricey, but it will last forever.

Follow-up on Interlux Brightsides

Just wanted to post a followup. I did use Interlux Brightside white polyurethane paint on my my houseboat roof painting project. Here is what I found so far:

- The coverage is amazing. In two ways - you couldn't see the original coating with one coat of the paint, and one gallon put 2 coats on my 43' houseboat roof. I was very pleased with this.

- As advertised - it is a gloss paint, so it is slippery. I am going to use shark skin in the final color.

- White is too white for a roof. After two coats we've decided to add a third coat of off white to tone it down.

- The paint is a very hard surface. This is what I wanted.

All in all, I am very pleased with the coating. I think it is a quality coating that goes a long way. If I hadn't picked the wrong color - this would have been a $120 project.

Brightside is a good, tough paint; I used it on all my earlier boats. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I guess whether to use white or off-white is whether you have a fly bridge. I don't and my objective is keeping things cool; if I could put a big mirror up there I would!
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Get Sharkbait at ACE HARDWARE
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

+ Reply to Thread