Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another Roof Coating Thread - What are You using and How Has it Held Up

Quote Originally Posted by thompsdw View Post
    Just wanted to post a followup. I did use Interlux Brightside white polyurethane paint on my my houseboat roof painting project. Here is what I found so far:

- The coverage is amazing. In two ways - you couldn't see the original coating with one coat of the paint, and one gallon put 2 coats on my 43' houseboat roof. I was very pleased with this.

- As advertised - it is a gloss paint, so it is slippery. I am going to use shark skin in the final color.

- White is too white for a roof. After two coats we've decided to add a third coat of off white to tone it down.

- The paint is a very hard surface. This is what I wanted.

All in all, I am very pleased with the coating. I think it is a quality coating that goes a long way. If I hadn't picked the wrong color - this would have been a $120 project.
    What did you do for prep? Did you sand the entire surface? Did you sand between coats?

I need to re-paint one of my roof decks. The previous owner used Interlux Brightside which is probably what I'll end up using.

Funny, I was just thinking today about bed liner. I'm going to call around to see what it would cost.

It is not cheap. You have to find the right person with the portable unit. Prepping the top is not that bad, but you have to cover the rest of the boat. Any overspray will pretty much stick to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by stp012 View Post
    What did you do for prep? Did you sand the entire surface? Did you sand between coats?

I need to re-paint one of my roof decks. The previous owner used Interlux Brightside which is probably what I'll end up using.

Funny, I was just thinking today about bed liner. I'm going to call around to see what it would cost.
    Prep for the old coating was sand with 80 grit sandpaper and then a wipe with denatured alcohol. I talked to a technician at interlux and they said that if you recoat just after the recoat time, that you didn't need to sand again, but the alcohol wipe is still a good idea. If you wait much longer than that, then repeat the 80 grit and alcohol wipe.

I have a 1990 Myacht, not sure what the roof is made of but it is leaking, any suggestions on what to use to seal it?

Has anyone any experience with Quick Rook Extreme? It is a EPDM RV product. I see where as with all EPDM's it is prone to caulking.

Senior Member Frantically Relaxing's Avatar
    I'm getting ready to redo the roof of our Skipperliner. The original roof is (best I can tell) a 3-section gelcoated plywood cap, each 12x16' section consisting of 6 sheets of plywood. The gelcoat has 'failed' in a few spots over the years.

My problem is, the roof has had indoor/outdoor carpeting fully glued down to it no less than 3 times. The buildup of carpet glue is such that it will be next to impossible to ever remove it all. Best I've been able to do with it so far is to sand the old glue down relatively smooth, and fill in any voids with a little glass 'n resin. I'm only about 10% done, and the next few weekends will be dedicated to getting the other 90% done...

What I'll be left with won't be suitable for paint or gelcoat. However, I figure it should be just fine for the likes of 2-part roll-on EPDM rubber, Durabak or something akin to Rhino lining. I mean, it's not like these coatings have to adhere to the roof very much, the finished product will essentially be a fairly heavy one-piece topping that gravity will hold down. For the past 5 years the back 10' of our roof has been covered with a 10x12' sheet of black EPDM rubber, glued down only along the edges with construction glue. The rubber itself and the glued edges haven't changed or deteriorated a bit. We've been toying with the idea of just covering the whole roof with a one-piece sheet of EPDM (about $550) then covering THAT with THIS:

It would be REAL easy to do, much easier than any other method. The old carpet glue finish wouldn't matter a bit to a sheet of EPDM. And I would never have to worry about the roof ever leaking again. The Ikea patio wood is pretty reasonable in price too. Would be no problem covering it up for winter either.

BUT, I'm still considering a Rhino/Durabak type coating too. I'm just not all that familiar with the costs and all with those. Especially the labor involved.

We're only weekend users at the moment, at least until I can semi-retire in a few years, but we use the roof a LOT, we're always having BBQ's and other get-togethers up there....

We've had carpet up top for the 9 years we've owned her, not sure we'd like a bare rubbery floor. But not sure we wouldn't. The wood patio floor would definitely be cool!

Any suggestions or advice?
    Last edited by Frantically Relaxing; 04-09-2015 at 06:33 PM.
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32
    2002 Regal 2860 Commodore
    1987 Sea Ray 21' Seville midcabin
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

I used Dridek over a rubberized roof. It worked well, but was a PITA to clean. How hot does the wood patio product get in the sun?

Senior Member Frantically Relaxing's Avatar
    Even carpet that's been in the sun can be too hot to walk on in bare feet, so how hot the wood gets isn't much of a concern. Most of my roof is covered too.

As for EPDM chalking, not sure but I believe that only applies to WHITE. I'm just using basic black. Our Party Cruiser had a white EPDM roof that chalked & shrunk badly in 10 years of exposure. I replaced it with black back in 2006, and like what I put on the Skip, it looks like the day I installed it. I've heard the black is good for 45 years. Does the black absorb heat more than the white? I suppose, but geez, I can't believe a sheet of white rubber exposed to direct sun in 100° heat is going to be very much cooler than a sheet of black. I haven't noticed anything detrimental from using it. Keeps water out, that's all I ask!
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32
    2002 Regal 2860 Commodore
    1987 Sea Ray 21' Seville midcabin
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

+ Reply to Thread