Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to forum, have question

New to forum, have question

I found this forum when I did a search on how to evaluate older houseboats.

I am interested in acquiring an older houseboat to keep at the slip for occasional overnight use. I have an 18 foot pontoon I use for fishing but it is too small for overnight stays.

I am seeing some of the older houseboats where the engine does not work or in some cases, has been removed.

I wonder how you can price these houseboats when the engine is missing or does not work. I asked about cost to repair on a Gibson and was told that parts were no longer available so repair was not an option.

So can anybody provide any suggestions or guidelines on pricing on older houseboats where the engines are missing or no longer work?

Tell him to give you 5 grand. That is what it will cost him to haul and dispose of it in a landfill.

Replacing or rebuilding an engine is a major investment. I wouldn't even consider a boat like that. It can only stay tied to the dock, and if you have to (and I do mean have to) move it you'll have to tow it.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    This is a sticky in the forum. This was first written in about 1997 and really needs updating.

http://www.houseboatmagazine.com/for...D-THIS-WARNING

When you purchase a derelict boat you will be the last owner, Due to current regulations you will be responsible for the disposal of the vessel.

The days of walking away from a boat in the slip or the yard are rapidly coming to a close. Most marinas won't rent a slip to anyone that they suspect will default. On top of this they don't want junk on their docks. The next problem is insurance. No marina will allow a boat that is not insured.To get insurance you have to have a survey. Add this to the cost of purchase.

This is the real world today.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER View Post
    This is a sticky in the forum. This was first written in about 1997 and really needs updating.

http://www.houseboatmagazine.com/for...D-THIS-WARNING

When you purchase a derelict boat you will be the last owner, Due to current regulations you will be responsible for the disposal of the vessel.

The days of walking away from a boat in the slip or the yard are rapidly coming to a close. Most marinas won't rent a slip to anyone that they suspect will default. On top of this they don't want junk on their docks. The next problem is insurance. No marina will allow a boat that is not insured.To get insurance you have to have a survey. Add this to the cost of purchase.

This is the real world today.
    Thanks for the advice and the pointer to that thread. It was interesting reading.

I can see that are more aspects to this than I had considered. I was just looking for a houseboat to keep at the slip to use on the nights I did not want to return home. I did not plan on taking the houseboat out of the slip so my concern was how much less it should cost without a working engine.

Now that I've read that thread I realize that the engine not working might be a sign of other, hidden problems.

Thanks to you I now know to have the boat checked out thoroughly by an expert before I buy it.

Anyone know what it costs to dispose of a derelict fiberglass houseboat? It can't be cheap. I would have to guess $5k to $10k by the time you figure freight and rigging.

Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER View Post
    When you purchase a derelict boat you will be the last owner, Due to current regulations you will be responsible for the disposal of the vessel. .............. Add this to the cost of purchase.
    This has to be included in "Famous Quotes"
    Truer words were never spoken.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

www.FreeBoatProjects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ezgoing View Post
    I am interested in acquiring an older houseboat to keep at the slip for occasional overnight use.
    I see you are in Dallas, would this be placed in a Land Locked Lake?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezgoing View Post
    I am seeing some of the older houseboats where the engine does not work or in some cases, has been removed.

I wonder how you can price these houseboats when the engine is missing or does not work. I asked about cost to repair on a Gibson and was told that parts were no longer available so repair was not an option.

So can anybody provide any suggestions or guidelines on pricing on older houseboats where the engines are missing or no longer work?
    To re-power a houseboat, lets say a Gibson 350 Crusader, plane on spending about $5,000 to $7,000 per engine. Single or double screw.
    Then if you are on a land lock lake, you got some high costs of transportation.

To provide more information on what you are asking, more details are needed.

What boat? What year? What size?
    A 14 foot beam is more desirable than a 12 foot beam.

However, lets talk about a 36 foot Gibson, Dual Helm, no engines, 1989.
    These are valued in good condition with motors between $25,000 and $35,000.
    Determine the cost to repair, lets say $14,000 to re-power twin engines.
    You will have another $5000 of incidentals, generator, cooling pumps, tranmissions.

The boat value to me would $2,000 to $5,000

find an old pontoon houseboat with aluminum pontoons. Many of them can be had pretty cheap and the maintenance is WAY less than a hull. Everything is easy to get at when trying to fix or upgrade. Outboard, if needed, can be had pretty cheap too. Overall, way less cost.

+ Reply to Thread