Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine Gauge Replacement

Little Tennessee River (Tellico Lak) near Knoxville

Engine Gauge Replacement

I have twin 270 Crusader gas engines and my boat is going on 30 years old. Some of my gauges are unreliable.
    Since I will be replacing all gages and sensors in the near future, I was thinking of going to full digital display instead. Other replies to this same question on a different forum, has since changed my mind. And so I will be replacing the old analog with new analog. If I replace all the old gauges, it would make sense to go ahead and replace all the old sensors as well.

I will be replacing the following gauges: Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Voltage, Fuel and Tachs.

1). What reasonably priced manufacturers would you recommend?

2). Do the sensors have to be matched to the gauges by manufacturer or are they all pretty much standard? I ask this question because I see a lot of gauges packaged as sets i.e. 6 gauges in a set, but I have not seen any sensor packages or sets for sale - only individually. It looks like they have to be ordered individually.

3A). I havenít looked at the wiring yet so I donít know if I have to check to see if there is anything different about the Oil Press gauge since the present ones have alarms. I donít know if they shut down automatically if pressure gets too low. Is there a special gauge needed for this or is this just an extra lead off the gauge to an alarm and shut-off?

3B). Same as 3A except for high temps.

4). All of these will be on the Fly Bridge. The only Ďinsideí gauges I have are the two Tachs.
    I assume the 2 Tachs here are tied to the Fly Bridge tachs. If so, anything special required or just follow the original wiring scheme?

5). What else do I need to know?

I would like to order the gauges in a week or so, so that I would have plenty of time to change them out before it gets too cold to work out there. I assume, like everything else, itís going to take me a while.

Thanks in Advance

Tony B
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Ask the gauge manufacturer these questions. Without knowing who your lookin at it's a crapshoot. They have compatability charts. You made the right choice to replace with new gauges.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Little Tennessee River (Tellico Lak) near Knoxville
    It looks like I will be ordering Teleflex Lido Pro series fog proof gauges. I spoke to a someone at partman.com and he told me that when I order the sensors to give him the engine serial numbers and he will make sure they are compatible.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

+ Reply to Thread