Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Houseboat docking

Houseboat docking

Am I wasting time and money rigging a trolling motor for docking purposes only?

Oops.... 37' single screw I/O

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Probably. A 37 single screw is a miserable b***h to handle. HOWEVER: it can be done. Single screw boats were the norm for years. They had only a rudder and werent even as manuverable as an outdrive boat. Those of us that owned them didn't have a choice and learned to do quite well thank you. Realizing that the boat favors turning in one direction easier due to prop rotation is the first step. This can be used to advantage. Practice is the best teacher, it will take a little time but you will get it. NOTE: Engine condition is of paramount importance. You dont want stalling when docking. Like wise idle RPM should not be too high. 550 to 600 rpm with the ability not to stall at minimum.

We sold a 37 Gibson to a couple. The lady was so good with it you would have sworn they had twins. She could dock it on the first try every time and her wake was arrov straight at any speed.

This is my 2nd houseboat with single screw. On my first one, everyone on the dock (15 big boat slips) would see me coming and all would run down to our slip to "catch" me. Good ole Okla wind. Thanks for your reply.

I am assuming you are placing towards the bow, to use like a thruster.
    Nope, not a waste of time, based upon your historical ability as stated above.

Senior Member Frantically Relaxing's Avatar
    The year we bought our Party Cruiser, which is a 32' pontoon 'semi' houseboat, the stator went bad while at our dock. Not wanting to drop half the tools and parts in the water while changing it out, I decided put it on the hard. To move it I borrowed a small electric trolling motor and attached it up front and connected it to the genny starting battery. Was kind of small, but the prop was about 5" in diameter. Minn-Kota I think... I figured I could slooooowly but surely get the boat over near the launch ramp with it. It was near dead calm that day...

That trolling motor wouldn't budge that boat whatsover. No matter forward or reverse, or what direction I pointed it, it was exactly like it wasn't even there.

So if you're planning on moving a 37' 'actual' houseboat with a trolling motor, go as big as possible...
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32
    2002 Regal 2860 Commodore
    1987 Sea Ray 21' Seville midcabin
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

dear users thank you for the real answers and better informations

+ Reply to Thread