Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Onboard Television

Onboard Television

We've been trying desperately to get TV on our houseboat. Most boats on Lake Lanier have DirecTV but they no longer service boats, will not install for us and even though we have a satellite will not activate a new box for us. Dish told us the same thing.

Help -- what is anyone else using for "in motion" and or "at dock" TV?

we have directv on our boat and so does most of our neighbors. we keep it turned on from may-nov.then they suspend it 6 months for us with no problems. if worse comes to worse get directv for your home and add another receiver and take it to the boat.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Rick,

Did you use it on your ride to Cincy? How well did it work?

we did but we could only use it when we stopped. it isn't a self tracker just a normal stationary house dish ,the only thing I had to do each night was manually turn the dish until I got signal( about 2 min or less) on our other Gibson I had the khv self tracker that I bought on e-bay used for 500$ and it worked flawlessly. were going to get anotherone for this boat next summer.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

I have a KVH TracVision M1dx, used less than one year I will make someone a real deal on.....HDTV with Dish Network with this unit.....or SDTV with Direct.....Nothing wrong with the unit, verified by authorized KVH installer. I changed it out to the new TV series
    Last edited by barrenriver; 12-24-2014 at 08:27 AM.
    Authorized Raritan Servicing Dealer

Look for a local Direct TV retailer. They will do things that Direct will not do.

If you have good wifi, you could buy a slingbox. It's a one time purchase with no monthly fees or memberships. It connects to your home receiver. Then, just go to slingbox.com from the boat using a tablet or something similar and connect to your TV. You can watch anything that is on your receiver. We do this on our boat and it works great. Can watch things we DVR'd. We also both travel periodically for work. We can watch whatever we want anywhere.

+ Reply to Thread