Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Here to shake things up a bit

Little Tennessee River (Tellico Lak) near Knoxville
    I could certainly understand why they didn't wouldn't want you in there. What I don't understand is why they are not refunding your money.

When I had a motor home, I would call RV parks ahead of time to make reservations. They almost always asked the age of the RV. Back then, most parks didn't want anyone older than about 20 years or so.
    When it came to marina reservations, I cant think of any marina that didn't ask the size, draft and type of boat. etc.
    Anyway, I'm glad you found a place to stay and I am sure you will eventually get your money back.
    Houseboater at Heart
    1986 Mainship 36 Dual Cabin Pointed Ended House Boat

Super Moderator
    I agree with OHB, most Houseboats are not suited for those waters, a few coastal's and the Rockwell Hatteras Whitcraft 40 ft version looks like a cruiser will work on non storm days 4 or 5 fters. I had a guy emailing me and calling, he had a 43 ft Nautaline had nearly sunk twice and ran aground 3 times. 5 ft seas nearly got him. He left from Decatur Al and was going to DC. You are right about the marinas and even other boaters just do not like houseboats. Gibson will be building a looper special with a trawler bow and water tight hatches.

The thing here is the fact that they took your deposit and you showed them you were not derelict. I would have been glad to have you if I was down there. I think just the bad advertising will hurt them quite a bit. Get on the loopers forum and active captain on the Internet.

Who were you on the old forum? Like OHB I would like to know also.

Thank you again for the support. I believe my old name on the old forum was either jsj248 or jsjnr. I was in the process of building the custom boat I took down he entire AICW. I gained a great bit of knowledge from the forums and I am very appreciative for all the contributors. I am currently a boating instructor and if there is one MAJOR area which needs far more attention then others, it would be wind/weather. I now consider myself a beginner practicing weather predictor. Having the added windage of a HB and the lack of bow thrusters, wind and weather play THE MOST important part of my 1000+ mile trip. Of course, we all know that having a schedule is deadly! I spent many an extra days waiting for the weather to change and winds to lessen. He who does not, is simply a fool!!!! The AICW is very doable with a smaller HB. My vessel is 8 x 35 feet and not only is it very navigable, but it is very comfortable to live in for a few months. It is an excellent vessel since it only draws 33 inches of water (Bottom of prop) and I can run the inside all the way to the keys. Yes, there are bays and sounds you need run across, but if you wait for a good weather window, it's like running on glass. The only variable you can not control is being waked from behind by a sport fishing boat. Most cruisers call and make a slow pass but I have found the majority of sport fishing boats simply blow right past you creating some havoc with their wake.

The boat in question is pontoon based with the third 15 foot pontoon in the rear. I believe, the key to what makes this vessel so stable is the third pontoon acting like a keel. We house the fresh water (apx60 gal), fuel (apx 70 gal) and the motor apx 500 pounds in the center toon. Without question, this has given the vessel a sailboat effect and greatly enhanced it's stability. In addition, the front is welded and stabilized for those times, a rough wave or a sport fishing boat wake crashes in on you.
    I've read and reread all these posts and the ones on the other thread you started and still am left wondering exactly what kind or style of boat you're referring to, sure would be nice to see an actual photo of it.

Is the boat pictured above yours by any chance? I'm aware of the fact that a old member here built this one with the intent of floating her south. Last I heard they were on the Chesapeake Bay awaiting good weather to navigate south, only never to be heard from again.
    Respect Our Recreational Resources
    Leaving Only "Footprints of your Passing"

Boating on the Muskingum River
    1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
    2007 90 hp. Yamaha

That's her before the upper helm and all the painting. I posted this issue to help others who may find themselves,s in the spot I found myself. My mother always said to stand up for what you believe is not right. Unfortunately, this critique has created to much adverse results and I will simply fade away. I was removed from active captain, my posts and responses were deleted from the cruiser net and despite my objectivity regarding all boats, the responses became very offensive. I believe OHB is the moderator and I would like to request my thread to be removed. Just know, no mal-intent was intended. I wanted to indicate, especially to the houseboat crowd, you will NOT be welcomed at many marina's in the keys. Check first and send them a picture every time. THANK YOU

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    jsj248

I am asking you to reconsider deleting your thread. In my mind it has value. The information in it is valid. Wether the reader agrees or disagrees, there is NO misinformation in any of the posts.

If however you still want it deleted let me know.

OHB
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Hang in there 248, The truth needs to be told. If they can't take it screwem!

Quote Originally Posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER View Post
    jsj248

I am asking you to reconsider deleting your thread. In my mind it has value. The information in it is valid. Wether the reader agrees or disagrees, there is NO misinformation in any of the posts.

OHB
    ^^^^ What he said, stay around. Please

I thought it had to be you and I'm glad to see you safely made it down there. As to the problems you're encountering at the marinas a person would think they could a least provide a reasonable explanation for their stance whether either or both parties like it or not. It would seem reasonable temporary allowances should been allowed and your money refunded back to you in a kind courteous manner.

How about a detour on your way back north that may have plenty of berthing opportunities. It's the Lake Okeechobee waterway, I've read a little on it on the web and would love to somehow be in the position to float it from the golf to the Atlantic or vice versea someday.
    Respect Our Recreational Resources
    Leaving Only "Footprints of your Passing"

Boating on the Muskingum River
    1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
    2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Thank you guys! I posted my previous post on several boards and got creamed!! Everything from "quit whining and buy a sailboat" to "we don't want any cardboard boats here" to "If you only own a houseboat, you deserve what you get"..... Kinda left a bad impression and I felt pretty rejected until you stepped forward...Again thanks. I'm dam proud of house boaters and their pursuits. YES, there are a few which are dead broke and take advantage of everything they can BUT so do some sail boaters and power boaters. After attending the National show several times, I find house boaters to pursue good times and happiness! A lot of other boaters are trying to cross oceans, or the great loop but when did we start discriminating based on the look of our boat? I ran down the ICW from Northeast, MD to Marathon. I was not reckless, I took NO risks, and in the process, I found my shallow draft "Canadian built" pontoons to be the exact vessel which is BEST suited for the AICW! Now, let me clearly denote this is NOT a blue water boat and I have no intention of doing the great loop where a much greater freeboard is needed. On the other hand, it is perfect for doing the inside AICW especially through Georgia where I seen 3 feet of water. Banana and OHB, I will stay around. Funny, this is the only board I feel welcomed! The other great disappointment was being removed from active captain? I placed an honest review, and in return, had my username/password removed? Despite that. I still recommend them as a good resource for AICW boaters..... Heading North to Miami for a bit. Take care-be safe and thank U!!!More important-"seek contentment"!

+ Reply to Thread