Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bluewater Boatel-40 foot 1977

Bluewater Boatel-40 foot 1977

Looking to chat and share experiences with fellow Boatel boaters.
    Live in Cincinnati are and cruise the Ohio. I have a friend that has a 35 Boatel also
    in the Cincinnati area. Haven't seen many of you out there and like to have someone to chat with about the boat.
    It is a Bluewater Boatel Houseboat
    Last edited by Dockmaster; 02-04-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: clarification

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Ahhh the 40 Bluewater. Just a Pretty Boat!
    Last edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER; 02-01-2015 at 05:14 PM.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Super Moderator
    You have a great boat built by Rockwell. Engines under the bunks and very seaworthy. I sold a few of those.

I always wanted of one of these, handles big water, with the interior room of a Gibson etc.

Hi Pirate thanks for chiming in, I'm going to post some pics, soon-it is actually the Boatel Houseboat-twin 270 hp. straight drives.
    Solid boat. Purchased at end of the year here and really didn't get to enjoy too much. We pulled it for the winter and doing so work to her.
    The engines are actually in the rear, I guess that could be a bedroom, but we actually have it as a sitting area. There are twin bunks down below
    with 2 full bathes. A heck of a lot of room and all amenities one could want in a boat. Seems like we have been moving up in size every time-but I believe this is it the dream.
    Prior boat was a 2880 Carver Cruiser with a 454, that really was a nice boat also, it sold right away - it was very clean and well maintained-never been bottom painted.

Your statement built by Rockwell confuses me a little, I thought the boats were built back then in MN., mainly for the rental boat industry

I'd bet she measures out to more like 45-solid boat
    Last edited by Dockmaster; 02-04-2015 at 03:54 PM.

I have to agree, although haven't had much, time, experience running it-bid difference from a sport cruiser at 35 mph and done to about 10 cruising, but I must admit I enjoy it
    the little I've had a chance to be at the helm. She throws a heck of a wake, weighing in at over 24, 000 lbs dry

Agreed and thanks-I take that as a compliment

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockmaster View Post
    Hi Pirate thanks for chiming in, I'm going to post some pics, soon-it is actually the Boatel Houseboat-twin 270 hp. straight drives.
    Solid boat. Purchased at end of the year here and really didn't get to enjoy too much. We pulled it for the winter and doing so work to her.
    The engines are actually in the rear, I guess that could be a bedroom, but we actually have it as a sitting area. There are twin bunks down below
    with 2 full bathes. A heck of a lot of room and all amenities one could want in a boat. Seems like we have been moving up in size every time-but I believe this is it the dream.
    Prior boat was a 2880 Carver Cruiser with a 454, that really was a nice boat also, it sold right away - it was very clean and well maintained-never been bottom painted.

Your statement built by Rockwell confuses me a little, I thought the boats were built back then in MN., mainly for the rental boat industry
    I am sorry, I was thinking of a 40 ft Whitcraft built by Rockwell. Your Boat was really a Botel and it has a more solid bottom than the Bluewater. She is solid and heavy because of the thinkness of the glass. Yes your engines are aft the whitcrat has them under the bunks.

Bluewater Boatel Update-(getaway II)

As we begin for end of season here in cincinnati on the mighty Ohio River, I just thought I'd give update on this year progress.
    Before we put in the water this year we sanded and bottom painted, 4 gallon what a chore and over 1k in materials alone
    The boat was wet sanded and then 3 step process brought the boat back to life-people think she's a different boat.
    I had a custom made swim platform made and replaced, original was damaged. Used company called plastique-added another 10" depth with the teak look. Turned out great
    Had a underwater seacock break, right at the threads-no big deal i was there-replaced-this winter I will replace all
    Replaced toilet head pumps, raritan expensive Put about 1500 in the old onan generator, but she's running, problem with water pick up while running-will inspect an replace sea cock-hopefully not water pump

We have not had a great summer-flooding and a lot of challenging river levels that limited the boating season.

So for the projects and bad news at hand. Had issues with starboard engine, found to be fuel pump, after 2 attempts of original equipment fuel pumps, installed electric fuel pump-seemed to fix problem till I got to half tank and it would not pump so I had to go to a non gravity feed pump (Push pump) works great so far. Developing engine noise on starboard engine, can't really determine if it is upper or lower. Compression check was not favorable, some 60, 30, and one cylinder at 0-but believe it or not it still runs.
    I will be pulling boat at end of month and pull the heads to see what I see and make decision on just doing top end or total rebuild. It will be a major deal pulling that engine from inside the boat, pretty much have to go to bare block.
    I do love the room and layout of boat. When running properly she just cruises along great, but certainly didn't plan on engine rebuild.

+ Reply to Thread