Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: width compared to length?

Backing into a slip isn't that difficult (with twin engines and PRACTICE), sport-fish captains do it all the time. The trick is keeping the bow under control while you maneuver the stern. On houseboats like mine, visibility would be an issue, too.

The reverse layout would have lots of advantages at anchor, as the kids could swim and fish and guests could visit in full view of the main cabin.

Maybe Amelia will chime in... I think their boat has a reverse layout.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

I like the reverse layout for our situation. Wondering how people kept soaking-wet kids from tossing soggy towels on the bed on their way in from swimming, we opted not to put the main bedroom aft athwartship as most commercial houseboats seem to do. This way, we can sit at the table, intercept the drippy ones, and watch the sun set, fix supper together, and watch the passing scene in bug-free comfort. At anchor in some idyllic cove, we can rock on the generous back deck out of the wind with an evening libation and watch the stars come out. It's easy to toss the kayak in the water and watch the children play, opening the 8' sliding glass door up to nearly double the entertainment space. It works just fine for us, so far. Might not work so well if you needed to find sleeping space for 12 in this many square feet, but for two of us and very occasional little people, it's generous. I can stand in my big aft galley, and peer forward and see where we're headed, underway, too.
    As for backing into the slip, we have two secrets. First, we installed a trucker's or RV back-up camera on the aft starboard corner, up high, aimed slightly down at the dock. Takes a little getting used to the very wide-angle lens, but it's really helpful for the big picture. Second, we invested in headset walkie-talkies, so we didn't have to yell at each other as if we were having a terrible row. So Rob stands on the back deck, watching, giving instructions to the she-monkey at the helm, "No, the OTHER starboard. Starboard power Forward. Port engine back just a little. Perfect. Now, come on back. straighten it out. " And so forth. Then makes the lines fast. We're getting a lot better at it. Or were, before it got too cold. Now we'll start learning all over, before too long!
    Last edited by Amelia; 03-28-2015 at 07:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread