Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 35' Kingscraft water tankage- strange issue

35' Kingscraft water tankage- strange issue

I recently installed a new pressurized water pump and redid some of the plumbing in our new-to-us Kingscraft 35. We hadn't been using the old system at all. When things seemed ready, we filled the tank for the first time since we've had her. It all seemed to go well. We filled until water came out the vent (and a little slopped out of the fill fitting and onto our deck too, heh).

I then flipped on the pressurized water, and again, everything seemed just fine. Yay, water at the sink finally! I pumped it dry... with the idea of putting in several fills and emptying them. As I was doing this, I started timing how long it took to pump the water out of the tank. Based on our pumps rated max flow, it seemed like we were pumping the water out faster than we should. So I did a little more rigorous testing, and I've discovered that we can only pump out about 61-62 gallons out of our tank.

So here's the issue. All the specs for this boat I can find say we should have a 125 gallon tank. The tank is built in to the boat, in the keel. There is no inspection port... there are just 3 welded-into-place pipe nipples sticking up out of the top of the tank. 1 for the fill, 1 for the vent, and 1 for the pump intake.

So I see three possibilities. The pump intake could have a hole in it about halfway up inside the tank. The tank has a *whole lot* of buildup. Or for some reason our tank was made with only half the rated volume. Anyone know anything about these boats? I'm thinking about cutting an inspection port into the top of the tank, but it's not a job I really want to do if I don't have to.

Thanks,
    -keith

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Get a 5 gallon bucket and time fill it to see if your calculations are valid.
    Last edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER; 03-13-2015 at 04:29 PM.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Maybe the tank was changed out in prior ownership.

Every year a fresh water tank should be (I forgot the word Miss Peggy would use) cleaned / sterilized . Meaning I would pour a quart of bleach in the tank, fill it, pump it down, and repeat several times. Then on the last fill add a quart of lemon juice to fill the beach smell.

Tom

The fresh water tank on a KC is the sealed keel.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD HOUSEBOATER View Post
    Get a 5 gallon bucket and time fill it to see if your calculations are valid.
    Yep, that's the exact thing I did when I did my "more rigorous testing". Total time from full tank til sucking air with the pump, divided by the time to fill a bucket, times the volume of the bucket.

-keith

Great minds tend to go down the same path

Thanks. I wish I knew what the heck was going on with my tank... maybe I'll just put in plastic tanks in the bilge and be done with it.

65 gallons is a lot of water. Try it the way it is first. Over 500 pounds.

Couple of things... first, I'm mostly worried about the tank being half full and not being able to be fully emptied. It would cause problems for say, cleaning the tank with bleach. A lot more cycles to get enough of the bleach out to make it safe.

The other thing is... while this houseboat is new-ish to us, we've actually been living on boats for 3 years, year-round (also off-and-on for the prior 5 years). 65 is a lot of water when we have easy access to fill the tanks... but if you have to ration it out to last a couple of weeks, that's tough. We had 230 in our previous houseboat (it started with 120 and I added another 110). That was great... about right for me, my wife, and our three dogs when we had to go up to 17 days at times between refills. We tend to do our dishes, rather than use throw-away plates and cups. It goes quicker than most people realize.

I have an aluminum welder coming out Monday to see what it would take to install an inspection port into the tank.

+ Reply to Thread