Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interior Paneling suggestions

Interior Paneling suggestions

Is there any interior paneling that anyone recommends? I am personally tired of replacing paneling due to swelling because of moisture and humidity. I fear that even after I get the leaks resolved I will still be fighting this never ending battle. I would love to find a nice looking PVC or any other waterproof paneling that I could install and be done with this rot. I have found a few bits of PVC but it is in strips at a max of 12" wide and my walls are 16" supports. I could install mounting strips across the back to support it but if I am putting wood to support this, that will just rot later.

Jamie

If you want a non wood product take a look at these 4x8 sheets at Home Depot. Turn them around and install the back out. The back side is smooth and could be painted any color to look like any normal smooth wall.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...9600/100389836
    1991 Pluckebaum 70'
    13' Boston Whaler, 40hp Yamaha
    10' AB rib, 25hp Suzuki (for sale)

Jamie
    isn't that the original paneling in your boat now? if it is its lasted decades and you'll be rid of the boat in a few years looking for your next conquest.. I always got my paneling for any boat rehab from keim lumber in charm ohio. they have extensive stock and quality beyond belief plus they deliver.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

The paneling is about 5 years old. It has held up well but I am curious what is out there. After deciding to do the floors sometime soon, I figure that would be the best time to replace the walls as well.

It probably helps to be located in the middle of a cypress swamp, with big lumber mills in the vicinity, but I am VERY pleased with the tongue and groove cypress we've put in. I put a pale stain on it so it looks almost pickled, painted it with a satin sealer, and nailed it on horizontally, so no stringers needed. Seems to have held up in spite of a roof leak along part of an exterior bulkhead. We got 'shorts' which are five or six feet long instead of eight or more. It's a lot of work, but looks as if it will hold up longer than the rest of the boat will.

If we were still in NE Ohio, we probably would have headed down to Charm, too. Good place.

I didn't even think of horizontal mounting. Do you have any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by JTAlberts View Post
    I didn't even think of horizontal mounting. Do you have any pictures?
    Bottom of page here: RobReiheld Houseboat
    Respect Our Recreational Resources
    Leaving Only "Footprints of your Passing"

Boating on the Muskingum River
    1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
    2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Like the project itself, the website is too long neglected. Seems that Our Hero was lured back to a better-than-full-time job, leaving an old-ish man little inclination to exert himself boat-building. We DO now have a galley, with running water, though! So our aquatic camping, as soon as winter departs, any week now, will be pretty classy. Propane and hot water, real shower next on the dream sheet. The image is on https://instagram.com/ameliareiheld/ but posting it here is beyond my ken. Sigh.
    Last edited by Amelia; 03-21-2015 at 01:54 PM.

Here you go:

That's a nice-looking galley, by the way.

How'd you do that? Magic!

+ Reply to Thread