AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Re-engine & steering

Threaded View

Re-engine & steering

I have saved my pennies and will be installing a new engine and steering into my single engine 77 Sumerset 14x58 this spring.
    The present mercrusier engine is shot. It is a 305 chevy hooked to a transmission. The components like the carb, water-pump, alternator are almost new. I plan on getting a rebuilt engine, long block, from someone like Grooms or Jasper and reuse those components. I will also be needing exhaust manifolds and have not started research on them.
    Also the steering cable is shot and though I tried everything including the cable oiler on here it was not savable. I am going to replace with hydraulic steering but have not started research on that.
    My plan is to replace the engine dockside and have the ok to do so. The goal being a drive train that will be trouble free for years.
    Any help or advice is appreciated, especially if you have been there and done that.

"Hooked to a transmission" - what exactly do you mean by that?

Typically, a mid 70s Sumerset would have an Mercruiser Alpha or Bravo outdrive. But, there were a lot of custom propulsion combinations put in those boats - so, anything is possible. If you have a traditional Mercruiser engine/outdrive setup, then it is going to be pretty hard to replace the engine dockside and get the alignment to the outdrive right without pulling the boat, pulling the outdrive, and using an alignment tool. If you do not get it right, then you will eventually be pulling the boat, probably pulling the engine, replacing the coupler, pulling the outdrive, and aligning it.

Hydraulic steering is actually pretty easy to install. The hardest part is probably going to be routing the hydraulic lines from the front to the rear. The parts are not cheap, but it is pretty simple to do.

I have a TR which has a trans. "Merctrans" I think?? that that will make a dockside switch easier...? As far as routing the lines when I pulled the cable I left a rope in place. Who should I go to for steering?

I do not know anything about that outdrive setup. Maybe others will chime in. I am sure that alignment will be just as important.

I bought my steering from a discounter/overstock place online many years ago. Just look online and you should be able to run up on a decent bargain.

MM 101.1 on the Ohio River - Moundsville Wv
    Can't do it on the water. You have to pull the drive and loosen the nuts on the tranny snout. Alignment is also very critical as the output shaft of the tranny can get destroyed if the alignment is off. I learned the hard way.
    Mountaineers are always free... Or at least until your taxes go unpaid.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer 67 View Post
    Can't do it on the water. You have to pull the drive and loosen the nuts on the tranny snout. Alignment is also very critical as the output shaft of the tranny can get destroyed if the alignment is off. I learned the hard way.
    He has a Merc Trans setup. The transmission STAYS WITH the drive. You just remove the bell housing bolts at the engine and pull it foreward and up.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

MM 101.1 on the Ohio River - Moundsville Wv
    With the merc trans he will need to make sure he installs new pilot bushings in the rear of his crank shafts. They can be bought from KC marine. I had a customer who negated installing the pilot bearing after an engine swap. His transmission didn't last long.
    Mountaineers are always free... Or at least until your taxes go unpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer 67 View Post
    With the merc trans he will need to make sure he installs new pilot bushings in the rear of his crank shafts. They can be bought from KC marine. I had a customer who negated installing the pilot bearing after an engine swap. His transmission didn't last long.
    FOR SURE. Crank pilot bushing is the #1 cause of failure for MercTrans

Hmm Thanks guys..so per Old Houseboater I can do this. I found a place that will rebuild the trans for $850.00 and warranty it. I think while at this I will rebuild the trans too, just money right.

KC Marine is the GO TO place for Merc Trans. I wouldn't go anywhere else. There arent a lot of these puppys in existance and KC has them nailed. Warrenty is fine but it's much better to have it remaned and pretty much be assured that you'll never need it.

+ Reply to Thread