AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Re-engine & steering

KC is who I have talked to!

MM 101.1 on the Ohio River - Moundsville Wv
    I have pulled a merc trans on the water and re-installed it....1972 Nautaline. I don't recommend it. If the rubber expansion ring on the tail shaft isn't compressed too much u might pull it off. You will have to rig a wire onto the u joint shaft and have all the stars line up when u reinstall it. Make sure you install the thrust washer that the u Joint tension spring rides on with grease so it won't fall out while you are trying to get it together....I was told it couldn't be done on the water so I did it. After doing so, I told myself I would never do it again on the water, and haven't. Good luck.
    Last edited by Mountaineer 67; 03-30-2015 at 12:05 PM.
    Mountaineers are always free... Or at least until your taxes go unpaid.

As I said, I have no knowledge of your setup. Based upon what I read into OHB and Mountaineer's responses is that - yes it CAN be done the way you are wanting to do it, but only if you know what you are doing. It seems to me that you are spending a lot of money to get things right on your boat. If you do not get the alignment correct and all the parts in place, then you will blow the tranny that you just rebuilt. So, like most things in life it is risk vs. reward. I would write out all of the costs to do it in water vs. out of water and see if the risk is financially reasonable.

Good luck either way. Let us know how it works out.

Looking at Having the local marina do the work. Will post results.

+ Reply to Thread