Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greetings Houseboaters!

Greetings Houseboaters!

This is DeepSeaDan from Canada bidding y'all greetings and salutations!

Are any of you folks scuba divers? I've been tripping around underwater for over 40 years now and am as obsessed with the deeps as ever. I got to thinking that Houseboating would be a great way to find some interesting inland diving locations, and my wife likes the idea of travelling N.America via the inland waterway systems. We are currently reading everything we can find on the subject, and the best part of that for me is talking to enthusiasts like you!

The way I see it, I'm going to need to have a custom-designed boat built. I'd like to incorporate a "Dive Locker" into the design ( not sure how many used boats would have one of those! ). The Locker would house all my gear, have a small repair area, and would house my tank-filling station. My thinking is to install a high-pressure compressor somewhere on her, and plumb the air supply to the Locker.

My wife would likely design the rest of the space!

Your comments & suggestions would be most welcome!

Kind Regards,
    DSD

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Welcome

Money will get you what ever you want. Touch hands with Dennis Pluckebaum at Plukebaum boat works. Prospect Kentucky.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

old houseboater hit it right on, pluckebaum is the premier builder!
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Unless, of course, you hanker to DIY. Then you really can design your boat around your dive hobby rather nicely. I know a mentally unbalanced fellow who decided that building a houseboat shouldn't be that much harder than building a house, and he was pretty sure if he put his mind to it, he could build a house. Ten years later, he's still at it. Sort of. (Having given up on retirement, at least for the time being, boat-finishing has taken a back seat to more rewarding and more-than-full-time employment.) He, too, said I could do anything I wanted with the interior. Ha! So long as I worked around his hatches, stayed out of the way of the electronics guys, and didn't complain about all the tools and widgets everywhere, I, too, could have my dive locker, if I could figure out where to fit one in. I now finally have a galley, and running cold water in both sink and bathroom basin. Propane hookup, an actual shower and hot running water are projects for another time. Maybe after his NEXT retirement. If you're looking for me, I'll be at the little airport. Hmph.

+ Reply to Thread