Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new roof and decks

Threaded View

Thumbs up new roof and decks

its a long process but half the boat is done. we had a roof leak on our Gibson and the plywood delaminated and broke the fiberglass and gelcoat around the entire roof. we took it last fall to Washington marine in Cincinnati for repairs. they took the roof apart and put down 3/4 in mdo plywood,then resined 2oz fiberglass mat down on that,then they put down 1/8th in fiberglass 4x8 sheets that they resined down and screwed it down every square foot then reapplied resin and sanded it smooth,then 3 coats of porter 2 part epoxy paint the last had non slip added. even the surveyer said it was far better than new. we liked it so well were having them do the bottom decks . its expensive but well worth the money. Washington marine is a first class operation and very honest!they do absolutely first class work. we should have the boat back by mid to late july. were even adding dripless shafts to eliminate any water in the engine compartment.
    Last edited by 42gibson; 04-13-2015 at 05:49 PM.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

I forgot to mention that all the repairs ran a cool 34,000!
    44 gibson executive
    marietta,ohio

That's more than it cost me to build my whole boat...
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for!

I did a complete rehab of a crest 43 foot houser in 2000 and it cost me 25000 with no labor costs.the surveyor and insurance thought the costs were very cheap, atleast now I don't have to worry anymore about it rotting out from under me.
    44 gibson executive
    marietta,ohio

A local roofer has offered to cover our boat's top deck in his sheet rubber or whatever this 3/8" stuff is, stretch it, glue it, smooth it, fasten it, and paint it for $3000. He did a nice prompt job with shingles on our roof this spring, so we might eventually be tempted.

I put rubber roofs on 3 houseboats and it worked out great. the playcraft I covered with carpet for the simple fact we were always on the roof. the others I left uncovered. 1 I did in 2000, 1 in 1997, the last in 1996 all are still doing good as long as you keep them clean.
    44 gibson executive
    marietta,ohio

+ Reply to Thread