Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water Purification Question

Water Purification Question

My houseboat is located on a remote slip where there is no water service and I am tired of hauling it to the boat. I have reviewed the other post on this site that talks about using a sediment filter, and carbon filter, and a Sterilight to sterilize the water. Here is my question. If I am only using the lake water to shower, wash hands, etc. - do I really need the Sterilight? I wouldn't think so, but just wanted some counter perspective prior to installing a system.

I'm thinking I can install a pump, a sediment filter, and a carbon filter to fill the tank.

I have a similar situation and I just intalled a pump, sediment filter, and chlorinator. I didn't use a sterilight as they were a bit pricey. I used the chlorinator because I figured things could get pretty nasty in the water lines and water heater if there wasn't something in there to kill the bugs. I didn't use a carbon filter as the water was only being used for washing and bathing. Plus I was afraid it would restrict the water flow too much.

Humm. Thanks for the thought. I was going to do the carbon and put a switch to fill my holding tank. I don't really care how long it takes to fill (other than the noise). I never thought about about a chlorinator ...............

try a berkey filter? Very portable. At least for drinking water.

+ Reply to Thread