Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New inverter batteries or portable generator?

this is all way to much to absorb.i love my generator!
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

Little high now..ok alot high for our needs but the Powerwall is maintenance free and warrantied for 10 years. Soon to be out.
    http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall
    Solar will more than likely be the power of choice for many homes as the cost of using it comes down and the ease goes up.

Something to remember about AGM and Gel Batteries; they are called Sealed Valve Regulated. They are advertised as sealed and not subject to outgassing. This is true to a point. The point is if they get too hot or are overcharged, outgassing will happen if you do not follow the strict charging protocols. They have a small valve in each cell that will open and release gas if they overheat or are overcharged because the pressure builds up inside the battery and must be reduced. The moral. They must also be in a vented space. The vent doesn't have to be very large. Hydrogen gas disperses very rapidly, faster than it took to write this. The USCG, ABYC, ISO and other rules all require AGMs and Gel Cell to be in a ventilated space, the same as conventional Lead Acid Batteries. There have been some spectacular explosions when this was not followed. Putting them under your bed is ok if the space has a vent, above the top of the batteries. Even so I don't advise smoking in bed.

In my opinion honda generator 3000 is the best portable generator available in market. I just compared all features of this generator with numerous brands and found this one as the most reliable among all.

Generator is a device that converts mechanical energy provided by the engine into electricity. It requires a fuel source such as kerosene, diesel, or petroleum to run this engine. Generators come in all shapes and sizes and their capacities also range from a mere 500W to many kilowatts so one can run all appliances at home with the help of a generator.

An inverter is a device that makes use of the electricity that is being supplied to your home by converting it into DC to charge a battery that is supplied along with the device in the case of a power outage, the same battery becomes a power source and the DC electricity from it is converted in AC before supplying it to household appliances.

A battery can change chemical energy to electricity by putting certain chemicals in contact with each other in a specific way. Electrons, which are small parts of an atoms, will travel from one kind of chemical to another under the right circumstances. When electrons flow, this makes an electrical current that can power something. What a battery does is put the right chemicals in the right relationships, and then puts a wall between them. Only when the two sides of a battery are connected by a wire or another conductor can the electrons flow.

Difference between Generator and Inverter

• There is literally no time gap in the onset of power, once there is a power outage, in case of inverter, whereas starting a generator takes considerable time.

• Inverters are soundless, whereas even silent generators make a lot of noise.

• Generators require a power source (kerosene, diesel or petroleum) to run, whereas an inverter charges the battery with the electricity itself.

• Generators require effort to start, whereas invertors start on their own, once power is gone.

• Generators are available in high capacities, whereas inverters are available in lower capacities.

• Inverters require installation and wiring, whereas one can start generator right out of the box.

• Generators prove advantageous in places with long power cuts, whereas inverters are more convenient in places with short power cuts.

Buying inverter batteries is a tiring and time consuming task. This is so because of the fact that you have to compare several batteries and several stores before finalizing the right one. This results in wastage of time and additional costs (in going to the store). Most of us live a very busy life these days and finding time for tasks like these is very difficult. Generator Batteries are charged for long periods and deliver high cranking power (starting current). Most of the Generator Batteries are manufactured as sealed and maintenance-free.
    Last edited by OLD HOUSEBOATER; 07-13-2015 at 08:14 AM.

Spam but actually a decent read!

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by desimulacra View Post
    Spam but actually a decent read!
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

Lol. Isn't it funny how you can get all those tips your really not asking for,

Where did you get your massive battery cables? Our 8 six volt battery bank is set up with a 300 amp 12 volt fuse. I like the color coding. Our present setup uses a copper contact bar that is 1" x 1/8 - 3/16 " thick. I think our inverter connections are 6 - 0 but might be 5 - 0. What vendor did you use? Would love to chat with you some time. Are you based out of Page or Bullfrog???

I live in Salt Lake City and haven't found a good local supplier for tinned copper cables. I had Greg's Marine Wire Supply make up all my wires for my latest battery install. https://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/ Another good suppler is Genuinedealz https://www.genuinedealz.com/. Greg's usually has a better price, but charges more for shipping. I usually shop both for a given order.

My boat is generally at Bullfrog but is on dry land at Offshore Marina right now. With mussels as they are now days, I might have to pull the boat every winter.

+ Reply to Thread