Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LED lights

LED lights

I'd like to swap out my recessed candecent light bulbs with the LED PAR20 bulbs. Do the LED bulbs put off less heat than the candecent ones? I have 11 in my galley / salon area and when they're all on, the cadecent bulbs put off a lot of heat, which makes my AC run more often.
    '06 Sailabration located on Percy Priest Lake

Bet On Another Thousand

LED bulbs put out a fraction of the heat of incandescents. So do compact fluorescents (CFL) which are generally less expensive than LEDs. I have both in my home and boat.
    She's a tired old barge but she's paid for... http://s71.beta.photobucket.com/user...24993.pbw.html

we just changed all our lights in the house to led daylight bulbs.they are so cool you can actually grab them and not get burned,virtually no heat. when we get the boat back were changing all of them over. the only thing is getting use to the light they put out.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

You can get LED bulbs in several color temperatures. Choose lower temps for a warmer light.

I scored 6 LED PAR20 bulbs at Bargain Hunt (open box buy place) on my way home yesterday. They're GE bulbs and sell on Amazon for $19 each, but I got them for only $10! They use 7W and are a 50W equivalent bulb with 2,700 color. I installed all 6 in the fixtures I have on most often and all worked perfectly, even with my old dimmers! My only complaint is the somewhat narrow light beam angle of each bulb makes the boat look a bit like a clothing store where the spotlights are focused on the tables. The incandecents scattered the light better and left fewer dark areas around the cabin. It doesn't bother me much, but takes a little getting used to. Also, I noticed a DRASTIC reduction in the amount of heat these give off vs. the 50W bulbs I replaced. This should help keep the cabin cooler in the steamy summer evenings.

I'll have to see if the 1st Mate likes them when she returns Friday, otherwise, I kept the receipt.

Bet On Another Thousand

Figured out why the light beams are so focused on these PAR20 bulbs - it's because they're PAR20 bulbs. I need R20 bulbs, which scatter the light better and are more like your traditional incandecent bulb. So, I'll probably end up taking the Bargain Hunt bulbs back to the store tomorrow and getting my $65 back. I found the R20 bulbs on www.1000bulbs.com and they're only $8.99 each, so I ordered 11 to go in the front living area on the boat.

While I was at it, I bought 148' of red LED rope light that I'm going to install in the area under the deck and above the pontoons on my boat. The light will shine down on the water at night and make for a cool effect. It'll also shine through the area between the pontoons. I've seen some of the high-end pontoon day boats with this lighting and they look really cool, so I'm just Super Sizing this idea! I'll post some pictures when I'm done.

Bet On Another Thousand

+ Reply to Thread