Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's in your tool kit?

What's in your tool kit?

Avast, mateys! We are headed out on the bright blue bay this weekend, I hope, though unlikely to be out of sight of home. (edit: scratch that plan... Our Hero is on call. Drat.) Anyway, before we attempt our first shake-down mini-cruise of 2015, it occurs to me we ought to have a more organized approach to maintenance, both physical and mechanical, than our current inventory of whatever got left aboard from the last construction project. Spare bilge pump and switch. check. Screwdrivers, wrenches and such. So what's in YOUR tool box? What should be on every boater's list of Important Stuff to Have Along for the Ride?

We've noticed that most of the stuff in the pre-fab first aid kits are cute, but relatively useless. We have assembled a very small first aid kit, including such surgical necessities as superglue, scissors, a couple of disposable hemostats, useful in many non-surgical tasks, tape, tweezers, bandaids, H2O2, cling gauze. There's medical stuff that's good to have around, like Tylenol #3 that isn't too far out of date, aspirin and Mylanta, an old spare stethoscope, for the one of us who knows how to use it, ... surely there's more.

What do you think you need to feel properly equipped?
    Last edited by Amelia; 05-22-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Oxygen in the form of a DAN O2 kit.

I have a full stock of tools. Any time I need a tool I buy one just for the boat so I have it for next time. I also have an extra starter, extra gaskets for various engine components, extra spark plugs, extra spark plug wires, dist cap, coil, belts, impellers, cordless drill set, electrical stuff (soldering pencil, voltmeter, heat shrink fittings, alligator clips), plumbing stuff, fasteners, hose clamps.... the list goes on and on.

I am constantly managing and inventorying my two tool/parts storage compartments to keep things in check and organized. There is no towing service where I'm at so if I break down it's on me to fix the problem and get back to dock.

One thing that has come in handy on many occasions is an Exacto saw:
    http://www.amazon.com/Xacto-X75300-P.../dp/B00004Z2U4

Sea Tow, or Boat US for unlimited towing.

Not sure if you have jelly fish there, but Meat Tenderizer for the sting.

Beer, while you wait on Sea Tow or Boat US to come tow you home.

Whoops, a little late for the weekend trip..... So how did it go?

Thank you for the good suggestions! There were some that hadn't occurred to me.
    The weekend trip, Tom, was spent at the dock. Our Hero was on call, and spent a surprising amount of it at the hospital. But we enjoyed the sunshine anyway, mowed the lawn, weeded flowerbeds, did a few small construction chores on the boat. This weekend, if the weather will pretty-please cooperate, I'll be flying up to Provincetown, MA for a gathering of flying friends in a town just south of there. Looks grim this morning, but maybe the forecasters will be wrong about all the gusty winds, low clouds, and thunderstorms lining up to bite old ladies with tiny airplanes. And in less than a month, my geezer, who has been kindly filling in for the last year pretending to be a Pediatrician, will be replaced by a young, energetic hotshot. Yay!!!! He still hopes to do vacation and weekend coverage from time to time, but this 60+-hour a week, 49 weeks a year stuff is for the birds! And we have a still-unfinished boat to build!! Said unfinished boat is already in need of fresh paint. :sigh:

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    Said unfinished boat is already in need of fresh paint. :sigh:
    It's a B.O.A.T.

One handy first aid device an may work as a tool is a typical syringe dig a tick out splinter etc, tool wise where every you need to clear a small line I'm sure others have thoughts how useful. A 10 cent syringe can be used for

Separate your plumbing stuff an ele stuff separate tool boxes work great,
    Every so often look in your tool bins as a reminder what's actually there U know how useless it is if you can't find it
    Last edited by dalehollow; 05-31-2015 at 07:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread