Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roof Cracking

Roof Cracking

I have 2014 Stardust. I am seeing cracking in the gel coat of the upper deck in non stress areas. Is this common or just an issue with Stardust boats? There is a 2012 model Stardust that I am aware of has the same issues. What is the best way to address it?

You should probably just call Startdust about it. Your boat is most likely still under warranty being a 2014 model. No, cracked gel coat isn't normal.
    Formerly owned a 16X69' Sailabration

Bet On Another Thousand

Thank you for your suggestion. I have been in contact with Stardust regarding this issue since April. Response has been somewhat slow. I am concerned about damage to underlying wood structure as a result of water penetration.

So if you had to repair this yourself what would you do? I assume >grind the crack out to bare wood>feather the edges of the existing roof> make sure moisture is not present>patch with mat and fiberglass resin, epoxy type> >>>>?

Well, I too have some cracks in my roof gel coat. I talked to my boat's manufacturer and then 2 different roof experts to ensure I'm OK. They all said the same thing about my perceived problems, so I feel much better now. Apparently, mine are all cosmetic issues and shouldn't be a problem for me beyond that. I was told that if I notice the 1st water drop on the ceiling liner to get it worked on ASAP, but it's been this way since I bought the boat in 2011 with no issue yet.

I have several hairline cracks that followed, what I thought was, the timber seams in the roof. The 2 guys that looked at my roof both told me that it wasn't the timber seams, it's the seams from the fiberglass sheets overlaying one another. Both guys told me that some manufacturers take the time to grind out those seams, so you don't see them, but, again, it's only cosmetic. They told me too that the manufacturer didn't sand the fiberglass resin well enough before applying the gel coat, which is why I have some chips coming off at those "seams". What's more, gel coat doesn't flex, whereas the roof and the fiberglass beneath it does. Put to the 2 together and you can get hairline cracks.

To be safe, I applied a thin layer of caulking to the chiped areas. It actually blends in well with the white gel coat.

I was told it will be $4K for a new gel coat when it comes time, so I'm trying my best to extend the life of my current roof to avoid that expense!

Bet On Another Thousand

Makes sense. Thank you for the response. This is my first houseboat so do not have any experience with what is normal and what is not In this case the cracks are deep and open enough to see the wood underneath. I am familiar with fiber glass and gel coat repair practices, but wanted input from those with more experience that I. Thanks again for the comments.

Wow! Deep cracks definitely wouldn't be normal, especially for a brand new 2014 boat! What I have on mine are simple hairline cracks. If you can see wood through your cracks, definitely stay on Stardust's arse to get that fixed under warranty ASAP!

Bet On Another Thousand

my neighbor has a 1999 16x75 sumerset and has never had any cracks of any kind in his roof. he has redone the gelcoat on the roof itself without removing the rails twice. he also takes the boat out of the water every winter with a trailer at his house on a very steep ramp. another friend had a 2004 horizon that as far as I know has still never had the roof redone and has no cracks. I on the other hand have had 2 gibsons that were cracked on the roof and decks from one end to the other. the latest a 1991 executive is in for a complete roof and redecking.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

we just went down to Cincinnati yesterday and paid the final bill on the boat repairs. new roof and decks and a new engine room bulkhead 36,221$. we'll keep it for the summer then sell before anything else can happen to it.
    44 gibson executive
    on the muskingum river & ohio river
    marietta,ohio

+ Reply to Thread