Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick question, could use a quicker answer!

Senior Member Frantically Relaxing's Avatar

Quick question, could use a quicker answer!

Last weekend our SkipperLiner started taking on water. A bilge pump is keeping the water out (about 1/2 gallon a minute I estimate)

I've been trying to trailer this thing for nearly 2 years but low water has prevented it- trailer hits the lake bottom (long story for another time)

SO I'm forced to have a crane pull it out! This is going to happen exactly 8 hours from now--

Just found out SkipperLiner went out of business again last September, so I'm asking here:

My question: Can this boat be lifted out by the 8 cleats rather than a sling? Pic is below showing the cleats. The cleats are 1" diameter solid(?) steel welded to the edges. Depending on how I adjust for the shape of the hull, I get somewhere between 34,000 and 38,000 pounds. Not sure if the math works this way but that comes to 5000# or less weight each cleat would have to support. I don't know if there's any reinforcement below the cleats.

The hull is trussed, 16" centers I think. We can sling it easy enough, but the whole job would go much faster if pulling by the cleats is do-able...

THANKS!

Last edited by Frantically Relaxing; 06-18-2015 at 07:52 AM.
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    1995 Tracker Party Cruiser 32
    2002 Regal 2860 Commodore
    1987 Sea Ray 21' Seville midcabin
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

Cleats aren't designed to lift the weight of the boat. Won't your siderails get in the way of the straps anyway? I'm betting you'd rip the cleats out of the hull, which would create a bigger mess for you in the end.

Odds are, your leak is coming from around the engine area. Can't you, at least, get the rear of the boat up on the trailer and have the rear end pulled up and out of the water for inspection? A guy did this on our boat ramp this week with his 68' Sumerset.
    Formerly owned a 16X69' Sailabration

Bet On Another Thousand

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    No no no no no
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

The leak is coming from the front half of the boat. Basement is totally floored, but there's 3 thru-hulls, one at the front bulkhead (transducer) and 2 lakewater inlets at about 30' from the bow, there's access thru the floor to these. Hull is dead flat in back, with a 7° deadrise that peaks at 40' forward at the bulkhead, so any water runs downhill. The rear access and as far forward as I can see (not far for the trusses) is bone dry. I'm pretty sure I know where the leak is, there was a previously-repaired (if you can call it that) rust spot about 12' back of the forward bulkhead all of a square foot's worth... I'm pretty sure that's where my leak is...

Thanks guys, I didn't think the cleats would be viable, but I thought I should at least ask! This is all new to me... Never thought I'd need a crane...
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    If repaired meant patched your the victim of shoddy workmanship. Proper repair is cutting out the rusted section and replacing with new metal. You should be able to get to ANY area of the inside of the hull to keep it free from corrosion. We owned 7 metal house boats 1 Carri 3 River Queens 2 KingsCrafts and a Pluckebaum. 4 were steel. I maintained every inch of the inside of the hulls rust free.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

I used to be a heavy lift rigger. Everyone has covered it, use straps/slings.

I have no such access to the hull proper, basement is finished for storage and sleeping arrangements...

Front basement access next to the helm...

looking to stern just below the access hole. In the back is the 100gal black tank, to the right is the 52 gallon fresh water tank.

Moving the camera to the right, behind the tank are the doors to the lower staterooms. Right behind the gallon jug is the hull access to the 2 thru hulls. Access hole is a foot square. (The other access is at the very front-middle against the bulkhead)

From topside, looking down into the stateroom area...

1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

to the left is one bedroom, second pic shows shelving. To the left of the shelving not shown are access doors, next to the black tank and all its plumbing...

to the right is the 'kids' low-ceiling bedroom, and the access doors shown in the 3rd pic.

I suppose if I'm willing to hack up the floor downstairs I have "access"...
    1988 SkipperLiner 53x14
    2000 Allegro Bus 40' DP

Super Moderator
    Never use cleats to lift a boat, Does anyone have a travel lift near you? It would save a lot of cash.

like the looks of your boat. That blue "screen" you're using, does it stop skeeters?

+ Reply to Thread