Your Ultimate Online Houseboating Resource
Welcome to Houseboat Magazine
Contact UsAdvertise

AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aluminum black water tank??

Aluminum black water tank??

I have an opportunity to get a nice holding tank. It is aluminum and was originally made and used as a fresh water tank. I am thinking of using it as a black water tank but don't know if aluminum is safe or advisable to use for this purpose. Any info is appreciated.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Plastic is better. Aluminum is better than steel and will last a few years though. If its clean inside dump in 2 quarts of polyester plastic resin (with hardner) and kick it around the back yard for an hour. This coats the inside and it will last for many years. Seal all the openings with masking tape. Used to do this with steel tanks when No Discharge laws first came on the books.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

I have an aluminum holding tank on my old boat. After 30 years it ended up like swiss cheese. Because it's part of the transom it would be difficult to replace. I ended up troweling on JB Weld all over the bottom and sides of the tank. It's been 5 years now and not a leak.

Super Moderator OLD HOUSEBOATER's Avatar
    Poly is better but Depending on thickness it can last 5+years,

To extend the life get a couple of quarts or more of liquid polyesther plastic with hardner. Have ALL the fittings installed to the tank. Mix the plastic and pour it in the tank and slowly roll it around your backyard for a half hour until all interior surfaces are coated.
    The fries are cold so we gave you extra.

+ Reply to Thread