AFTERMARKET MANUFACTURERS BROKERS FORUMS
Administered by The Pirate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Very First Post: Lots of Questions

Threaded View

Very First Post: Lots of Questions

My name is James and I live in Cincinnati. That being said, I am wanting to come back to boating. As a child my family had a 47' Watercraft houseboat, which we sold when I was 13. As I mentioned, it has taken a while but I long for the friendship of the boating community once again.

It seems that the houseboats I remember growing up are a thing of the past. Am I wrong, or does it seem that there are very few boat manufacturers what actually make what I would call a traditional houseboat. Aluminum hull and top structure, not the current pontoon or RV trailer that floats. Not that there is anything wrong with these , just not my style. It seems these boats have given way to the tug/cruiser/trawler, or am I just missing something.

I guess my question is are there still quality houseboats out there? If so, who are the manufaturers? What are the benefits of gas vs diesel? I seem to think that a diesel would be more efficient, but they seem even harder to find. Can the modern day houseboats make the great loop without having to worry about weather? Is there a benefit of a new vs older boat?

Any information on houseboating or similar boats to this style would be great.
    Last edited by Tillerman7; 06-23-2015 at 06:21 AM.

Houseboat manufacturers in this region for you to consider would be Sailabration, Destination Yachts, Sumerset, Startdust, Thouroughbred. Any one of these companies would be able to build you any boat you want.

To get an idea of what's available out there, look up any website that has boats for sale and just look at all the pictures. Prices go as high as your dreams. Good luck!
    www.houseboatsbuyterry.com
    www.boattrader.com
    Formerly owned a 16X69' Sailabration

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    Houseboat manufacturers in this region for you to consider would be Sailabration, Destination Yachts, Sumerset, Startdust, Thouroughbred. Any one of these companies would be able to build you any boat you want.

To get an idea of what's available out there, look up any website that has boats for sale and just look at all the pictures. Prices go as high as your dreams. Good luck!
    www.houseboatsbuyterry.com
    www.boattrader.com
    Thank you. I am not sure that a new build is for me. I am looking for a 44-50' boat for my family and I. What is the typical cost (yes, I know there are lots of factors) for a new build?

Welcome James,
    GoVols sent you in the right direction, also I am sure you have read this recent thread http://www.houseboatmagazine.com/for...ocation-Advice it has some go info. The great thing is the Aluminum houseboats of the past are mostly still in good shape. The life of an aluminum hull is basically as yet unknown (they are still afloat).
    The only reason I would go with a diesel is if I was planning on doing a lot of traveling. Then a houseboat, like most on this site, are not really ideal.

As a side note we were sitting out at Rock Port Bluffs the other day and a houseboat went by with gas engines that was very quiet then 1 mile behind it came an aluminum houseboat with diesels that was extremely noisy. I mean the engines were loud. More so in front than the rear. I was wondering if the hull was projecting the sound. Anyone?
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by desimulacra View Post
    Welcome James,
    GoVols sent you in the right direction, also I am sure you have read this recent thread http://www.houseboatmagazine.com/for...ocation-Advice it has some go info. The great thing is the Aluminum houseboats of the past are mostly still in good shape. The life of an aluminum hull is basically as yet unknown (they are still afloat).
    The only reason I would go with a diesel is if I was planning on doing a lot of traveling. Then a houseboat, like most on this site, are not really ideal.

As a side note we were sitting out at Rock Port Bluffs the other day and a houseboat went by with gas engines that was very quiet then 1 mile behind it came an aluminum houseboat with diesels that was extremely noisy. I mean the engines were loud. More so in front than the rear. I was wondering if the hull was projecting the sound. Anyone?
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    So, this site here is aimed more towards the larger houseboats that are more stationary or am I missing something regarding your post. " The only reason I would go with a diesel is if I was planning on doing a lot of traveling. Then a houseboat, like most on this site, are not really ideal. " Please advise.

So, the cost of fuel of gas vs diesel dosen't really come into play? There isn't a benefit on GPH on gas vs diesel?

There's always a benefit for diesel when fuel consumption comes into play, but you'll need to put a LOT of hours on them in order to recoup your money from initial investment, as diesels are significantly more expensive than gasers.

An interesting spin I saw recently was gas propulsion engines, but a diesel generator. THAT IS AN EXCELLENT COMBO!

Bet On Another Thousand

The wide body boats are more comfortable for inland lakes where you leasurly cruise to an anchor spot and stay the week / weekend and then go back to the dock for the next work week. If you want to cruise in the intercoastal or will go in salt water, you'll most likely need a cabin cruiser or a costal-going fiberglass houseboat that has a more pronounced bow that's capable of taking the waves.

Gibson is making boats again. Their boats can doing the intercoastal waterways or The Great Loop.

Bet On Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
    The wide body boats are more comfortable for inland lakes where you leasurly cruise to an anchor spot and stay the week / weekend and then go back to the dock for the next work week. If you want to cruise in the intercoastal or will go in salt water, you'll most likely need a cabin cruiser or a costal-going fiberglass houseboat that has a more pronounced bow that's capable of taking the waves.

Gibson is making boats again. Their boats can doing the intercoastal waterways or The Great Loop.
    Gibson is making boats again? I have had no luck in contacting them. Can you please point me to where you found that information?

Someone posted a thread on here several months ago about Gibson reopening. Not sure of the status, but here's their website and phone.
    http://www.gibsonboats.com/default.htm
    (615) 325-9320

Bet On Another Thousand

+ Reply to Thread